What's new

Problem with my PS2 and receiver... (1 Viewer)

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Ok, here is my setup. I have my PS2 connected to my B&K AVR202 receiver with the Monster optical cable. But here is the problem. I switched the Dolby Digital to "On" in Metal Gear Solid 2 for the cut scenes. Sounds great, until the cut scene stops and you start playing, or using the Codec. Then there is no sound. For some reason, the receiver won't default back to normal stereo when the Dolby digital signal is passed. To get sound back, I have to shut off my PS2 and turn it back on. I also have to do this if I play SSX Tricky in DTS and then want to put in another game. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Weird. :confused:
I have my PS2 hooked up with an optical cable to my SONY Dolby/DTS receiver and have played games featuring Dolby 5.1 in cut scenes...but I've never experienced the problem you describe.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Yeah, I don't know what the problem is. I need to call B&K and see if they might know what it is.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
That is an unusual problem. :confused:
My PS2 is hooked up to my Sony receiver via optical cable. Although with my copy of Sky Oddysey, I DO NOT get sound via the optical. I have to switch back to composite in order to hear sound on that game. I've never heard of a game outright not supporting optical sound but Sky Oddysey falls under that strange category!
If your sound is falling out AFTER a 5.1 sequence, the problem must be with the way the receiver is decoding the signal. It's got to be.
Sorry I wasn't more specific. Good luck.
Joseph

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I assume it is with the reciever as well. I am going to try to call B&K today.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
Gradius 3/4 will only work with the analog audio. For some strange reason, only the intro movie to the game works on the optical out.

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan, is your receiver DTS, Dolby Digital or both? And if so, does it autosense what kind of stream it should be decoding?

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Derrick,

My reciever has both DTS and DD, and it does autosense what format the source is in. It does it all the time on DVD's, where the menu might be in Pro Logic, and then you play the movie or an extra, and it switches to DD, and the when it goes back to the menu it switches back to Pro Logic. It is wierd for sure.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Morgan,

I have the Monster optical cable running from the PS2 to the receiver, and Monster component cable running to my XBR tv.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Ryan,

My solution with the Sky Oddysey issue was to purchase the Monster Gamelink cable which plugs into the back of the PS2 and ends in your standard rca (red/white) audio and an S-video jack instead of the third composite cable. Then I was able to get the good video quality along with servicable, if not great, sound.

However, I also found that unless I set the PS2 to optical: off or disconnected the optical cable, I would not hear sound because it appears to override the other audio inputs unless it's disabled.

Cheers,

Joseph

ChrisV

Second Unit
For non-5.1 scenes, you need the composite audio cables plugged in.
Not true, the only game I've ever played on the PS2 that didn't work with only the optical cable hooked up was Sky Oddysey. It's a known problem with that game, and everything else PS2 games, PSX games, and DVDs all work with the optical cable. Too bad, I enjoyed Sky Oddysey, but it's too much trouble switching back and forth all the time to be more than a renter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks