Problem with my PS2 and receiver...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_C, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Ok, here is my setup. I have my PS2 connected to my B&K AVR202 receiver with the Monster optical cable. But here is the problem. I switched the Dolby Digital to "On" in Metal Gear Solid 2 for the cut scenes. Sounds great, until the cut scene stops and you start playing, or using the Codec. Then there is no sound. For some reason, the receiver won't default back to normal stereo when the Dolby digital signal is passed. To get sound back, I have to shut off my PS2 and turn it back on. I also have to do this if I play SSX Tricky in DTS and then want to put in another game. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

2. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

BUMP...

3. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

Weird. [​IMG]
    I have my PS2 hooked up with an optical cable to my SONY Dolby/DTS receiver and have played games featuring Dolby 5.1 in cut scenes...but I've never experienced the problem you describe.

4. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Yeah, I don't know what the problem is. I need to call B&K and see if they might know what it is.

5. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

That is an unusual problem. [​IMG]
    My PS2 is hooked up to my Sony receiver via optical cable. Although with my copy of Sky Oddysey, I DO NOT get sound via the optical. I have to switch back to composite in order to hear sound on that game. I've never heard of a game outright not supporting optical sound but Sky Oddysey falls under that strange category!
    If your sound is falling out AFTER a 5.1 sequence, the problem must be with the way the receiver is decoding the signal. It's got to be.
    Sorry I wasn't more specific. Good luck.
    Joseph

6. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

I assume it is with the reciever as well. I am going to try to call B&K today.

7. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

Gradius 3/4 will only work with the analog audio. For some strange reason, only the intro movie to the game works on the optical out.

8. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

Ryan, is your receiver DTS, Dolby Digital or both? And if so, does it autosense what kind of stream it should be decoding?

9. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Derrick,

My reciever has both DTS and DD, and it does autosense what format the source is in. It does it all the time on DVD's, where the menu might be in Pro Logic, and then you play the movie or an extra, and it switches to DD, and the when it goes back to the menu it switches back to Pro Logic. It is wierd for sure.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Don't you need the composite and optical cables all hooked up at the same time? Is that the problem?

11. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Morgan,

I have the Monster optical cable running from the PS2 to the receiver, and Monster component cable running to my XBR tv.

12. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Ryan,

My solution with the Sky Oddysey issue was to purchase the Monster Gamelink cable which plugs into the back of the PS2 and ends in your standard rca (red/white) audio and an S-video jack instead of the third composite cable. Then I was able to get the good video quality along with servicable, if not great, sound.

However, I also found that unless I set the PS2 to optical: off or disconnected the optical cable, I would not hear sound because it appears to override the other audio inputs unless it's disabled.

Cheers,

Joseph

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

For non-5.1 scenes, you need the composite audio cables plugged in.

14. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I thought you needed the RCA audio plugged in as well. Oh well, guess I was wrong.