What's new

a bit of help for a first timer (1 Viewer)

ibugppl

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony
well i got myself a Rca RTD217 5.0 i got all my speakers mounted. its hooked up with RCA cables. there is only 2 sound output plugs in the back (so i can only have 1 thing plugged in at a time) so i bought a switcher box at radio shack and i have my xbox 360 and ps2 hooked up to the box and they both work perfect in surround sound. but when i hooked up my tv to the box it wont work. if i plug the tv directly into the receiver the sound works (but it sometimes only plays out of 1 speaker) is there a problem with my surround sound or my tv or the switcher box?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What TV? What OUTPUT connections from the TV are you using? Are they fixed or variable outputs? That may be selectable in the TV menu.

-Robert

ibugppl

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony
where would the digital coaxial cables be put in. would i put them in the white and red slots on my receiver or is there any other slot i would look for, and the tv outputs are just normal red and white outputs that plug into the receiver

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The back of my TV has dozens of red/white (and other colored connections) but only 1 set that is a dedicated audio output. The rest are inputs. Since the labels are usually molded using the same color plastic as the rest of the TV it is very easy to miss them. Make sure you plug into the audio outputs of the TV. If your TV has the ability to use a fixed output via the menu, then set it that way.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks