What's new

Problem with hdmi sound (1 Viewer)

humphreys1588

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryce
Ok so here is the deal. I want to hook up my pc to my hdtv. The way it is hooked up is by a hdmi cable from video card from pc to tv. Now the video is fantastic but for some odd reason i could only get sound from a very minimal amount of movies that i had(only 2 worked with audio) I could just easily hook up this....http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23174%3B+-+6%27+Mini-to-RCA+Stereo+Audio+Cable/9222352.p?id=1218062425208&skuId=9222352(which i did to watch a couple hd movies) but the pc is very far away from pc and would prefer different option(plus not even sure if they make those caples 50 ft long!) back to the problem with sound. The weird thing with it was when i had it connected to tv i could get sound from say headphones or that cable listed above but only through the audio out not the hdmi. I tried messing with audio setting on my pc to try and make audio come out video card hdmi instead of audio out but no luck.....suggestions??? And now my second question....if i can get a question to this first question and get sound through hdmi to tv, how can i transfer audio from hdmi in to reciever so i can have surround sound when watching movies on pc. the hdmi on tv has hdmi in and LR audio in but no outs(thats all all VID6) so how can I get audio from tv to reciever? Thanks so much in advance and I know its kinda pc question as well but figured give it a shot! Really need to know if this will work or if i just bought brand new video card for nada. thanks again
Bryce H.
PS. sorry for length

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Bryce,

Exactly what models of TV, receiver and graphics card do you have?

TVs can decode only Dolby or PCM audio. They can't decode DTS. That might explain why you aren't getting audio for some of your movies.

Only top-of-the-line Sony Bravia TVs forward multichannel audio from HDMI to their digital audio outputs. All others manufacturers' TVs downmix HDMI to stereo. Only the TVs' internal tuners can send multichannel audio to their digital outputs.

in general, audio and video sources should be connected to the receiver, which acts as a selector to send the appropriate video to the TV and the accompanying audio to your speakers. If your receiver doesn't support HDMI, then it may be time to upgrade it -- or send it signals that it does understand, like component video and digital audio. In other words, given how you've described your TV and receiver, you probably did get the wrong graphics card.

humphreys1588

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryce
well first my graphics card is gigabyte gv-n2200c -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125295
tv is older sony bravia 720 kdf-e41a10
and reciever is sony str-dg500
the reason i did go through the tv and not receiver is because receiver is not hdmi capadable. but my graphics card has both hdmi output and dvi also. The reason i wanted to run hdmi is so it would only be one calbe going to tv. my computer is pretty far away from tv (i would need about 50ft hdmi cable)

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Your last statement confuses me. "would need" implies you haven't connected it yet.

At any rate, a 50ft hdmi run is going to need a repeater and its cables have to be high quality, too. i.e. hdmi cables + repeater are going to cost about $400. Otherwise you get flakey problems like what you describe. Alternatively, you can use cat6 wiring (the same as is used for networking) and hdmi converters, but the cost comes out to about the same.

The least expensive fix is to move the computer to the TV so you can use a 2 or 3 meter cable.
Next probably would be a VGA to component video converter.

Sorry.

humphreys1588

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryce
well to clear up confusion i said would need becuase i have not connected the computer to the tv where it stands now. When i installed my graphics card i plugged it right next to tv and connected it just to make sure my graphics card was working correctly(more hdmi port than graphics card itself but you get the idea) and not sure what a repeater is or what it does? never heard of it before....and ive looked into hdmi cables with that length for about 60-70 with good reviews so not sure about that....not saying it couldnt happen cuz i know it can, its a long cable its gotta travel through! and also unfamiliar with cat6.... thanks!
Bryce

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Extender

HDMI signaling is extremely flaky. Cables that work fine for 720p between some devices won't work at all for 1080p or other devices.

Long cable lengths and poorly designed cables cause the digital bits to be "smeared" (aka dispersion; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispersion_relation) and harder to detect. You need a high quality certified category 2 cable to reduce this and an HDMI extender to restore the shapes of the bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks