What's new

Problem with Criterion blu rays? (1 Viewer)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
My HOWARD'S END freezes up at 1:52 and I sent it in. I head rumors on the other thread that someone on Criterionforum (or Cast, I don't remember which) said that Criterion doesn't have any additional replacement copies of the title. But I'm hoping that's just a rumor. I can't imagine that Jon Mulvaney would send out requests to send back OOP titles and then renege on replacing them.

alter filmnarr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gerhard
My "Walkabout" skips after the layer break (50') 4 minutes further and is heavily "bronzed".

"Days Of Heaven" is starting to change colour from the outer edge, but plays fine at the moment...

I live in Vienna/Austria and I think, that I will have to order new discs. Sigh!

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Mark Cappelletty said:
My HOWARD'S END freezes up at 1:52 and I sent it in. I head rumors on the other thread that someone on Criterionforum (or Cast, I don't remember which) said that Criterion doesn't have any additional replacement copies of the title. But I'm hoping that's just a rumor. I can't imagine that Jon Mulvaney would send out requests to send back OOP titles and then renege on replacing them.
They may offer a title of your choice for any OOP title that they can't replace.
alter filmnarr said:
My "Walkabout" skips after the layer break (50') 4 minutes further and is heavily "bronzed".

"Days Of Heaven" is starting to change colour from the outer edge, but plays fine at the moment...

I live in Vienna/Austria and I think, that I will have to order new discs. Sigh!
In other cases of exchanging a problematic disc (most recently ERASERHEAD), Criterion has sent replacement discs to those outside the US. Email them and ask before you spend the money buying new discs. It doesn't hurt to ask.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've shipped my Walkabout to 'Mr Mulvaney' from Australia and am confident of getting a replacement ... and the disc itself looks particularly bad .. you can actually see and feel the outer-edge breaking up! And I did email disclosing my full overseas address and still got the advice about mailing in the old disc. So Mark, follow Derrick's advice and give it a go! You have nothing to lose but your bronze trophy...

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Has anyone received their replacement discs yet?
I'm just wondering about timing .. since I'm in Australia, I'll add a fortnight to anyone else's arrival date and expect it from there.
But of course, if no-one's received anything yet, there could be a long long wait...

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Hi, everyone. I just went to the Criterion site & checked on the most recent posts about this issue. As of Oct 20th, Jon Mulvaney apparently emailed a poster to say that the replacement discs have not yet been mailed out. J

Derrick King

Screenwriter
According to a post on another forum, as of last Friday, Criterion was still waiting on the replacement discs and they said it would be at least a week before they started shipping them out. Assuming they finally got the discs, I'd expect them to start sending them out on Monday.

ScottGros117

Agent
Real Name
Scott Gros
WilliamMcK said:
Got my corrected ERASERHEAD earlier this week... Hoping my copy of M will arrive soon! I now need to send back BIGGER THAN LIFE... :/
Bigger than Life is affected too? Damnit! Anyone had their copy of Seven Samurai bronze? Neither of these have posed problems for me as of yet, and I bought them both from Barnes and Noble in late 2012. Are these from the first pressing?

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
I watched SEVEN SAMURAI last August and it was fine... still three months is three months! BIGGER THAN LIFE freezes on my Samsung at the 19:02 mark... and there is very noticeable bronze discoloration. Oddly though, it still plays on my LG.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'll have to check out my Seven Samurai .. I didn't know it was in the 'suspect' list or else I would have shipped it in along with my 'Walkabout'.
Is 'Seven Samurai' officially suspect?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I played Howards End, M and Walkabout in their entirety on my Panny BD player without them freezing up.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Even if a disc is on the list or suspected of having some bad pressings those would still be the minority of copies. My Stagecoach is perfectly fine, for example. The best course of action is to do a physical inspection and a couple attempts to load and play through the content on the disc, spot checking every 10 mins of runtime for all video content. I checked around 20 titles when this was all being figured out a few weeks back and had 3 with both the physical "browning" look and the playback problems. The rest I've happily kept on my shelf, and I've even watched a couple since that time with no problem. Sending in perfectly fine copies just because it's one that is on the list seems a bit beyond the mark for what Criterion is responsible for, IMO. And if a disc that is currently fine eventually goes bad in a year or two, I'll send it in at that time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Brandon Conway said:
Even if a disc is on the list or suspected of having some bad pressings those would still be the minority of copies. My Stagecoach is perfectly fine, for example. The best course of action is to do a physical inspection and a couple attempts to load and play through the content on the disc, spot checking every 10 mins of runtime for all video content. I checked around 20 titles when this was all being figured out a few weeks back and had 3 with both the physical "browning" look and the playback problems. The rest I've happily kept on my shelf, and I've even watched a couple since that time with no problem. Sending in perfectly fine copies just because it's one that is on the list seems a bit beyond the mark for what Criterion is responsible for, IMO. And if a disc that is currently fine eventually goes bad in a year or two, I'll send it in at that time.
My problem with that is the responsibility is being placed on the consumer, when it isn't their fault to have to deal with a PQ problem that is Criterion's responsibility. Going through these discs is time consuming and who knows what happens in the future with these discs? Do they turn bad and then what?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
...who knows what happens in the future with these discs? Do they turn bad and then what?
If I owned any of these discs and they didn't currently have a problem, I'd still get an exchange. I don't want to abuse their exchange program (especially since it's way more than most companies do) but I also don't want to go to watch a movie in 2017 and find out that it took a little longer for my disc to crap out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks