What's new

Problem with Criterion blu rays? (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I just checked my copy of 'Stagecoach' and the disc looks flawless. No hint of any kind of discoloration.

Mark

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Robert Crawford said:
My problem with that is the responsibility is being placed on the consumer, when it isn't their fault to have to deal with a PQ problem that is Criterion's responsibility. Going through these discs is time consuming and who knows what happens in the future with these discs? Do they turn bad and then what?
Absolutely.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
My problem with that is the responsibility is being placed on the consumer, when it isn't their fault to have to deal with a PQ problem that is Criterion's responsibility. Going through these discs is time consuming and who knows what happens in the future with these discs? Do they turn bad and then what?
While I understand the frustration about putting the responsibility on the consumer, what other alternative is there?A mistake was made during the creation process. It was not detectable at the time (these discs went bad after they went on sale), so Quality Control would not have caught it. And mistakes can not be be avoided (that's why they are called 'mistakes').As for Criterion's responsibility, they are replacing discs. They can't be pro-active, since they do not know which consumers own the bad discs.

ScottGros117

Agent
Real Name
Scott Gros
WilliamMcK said:
I watched SEVEN SAMURAI last August and it was fine... still three months is three months! BIGGER THAN LIFE freezes on my Samsung at the 19:02 mark... and there is very noticeable bronze discoloration. Oddly though, it still plays on my LG.
When did you purchase your copies of Seven Samurai and Bigger than Life? Also, how do I know if my copies are from the afflicted pressing or a later pressing without problems?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Weicker said:
While I understand the frustration about putting the responsibility on the consumer, what other alternative is there?A mistake was made during the creation process. It was not detectable at the time (these discs went bad after they went on sale), so Quality Control would not have caught it. And mistakes can not be be avoided (that's why they are called 'mistakes').As for Criterion's responsibility, they are replacing discs. They can't be pro-active, since they do not know which consumers own the bad discs.
For the consumers to send in the titles that have been identified with having problems. That's all I'm saying and what Criterion is doing, is all they can do right now. I just played Stagecoach today, but hell if I know what is going to happen with that disc, two years from now.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Robert Crawford said:
For the consumers to send in the titles that have been identified with having problems. That's all I'm saying and what Criterion is doing, is all they can do right now.
Exactly. I shouldn't have to spend time checking these discs now and then every few weeks or months to see if they've developed problems. If the title is on the affected list, I should be free to send it in for the replacement, whether or not it currently has a playability problem. We paid for discs with the understanding that they would play, not that they might play.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The only list of potentially defective titles on their site is this:
The potentially affected Blu-ray titles are:
Howards End
M
Paris, Texas
Pierrot le fou
The Seventh Seal
Summer Hours
Walkabout

So people sending in STAGECOACH, SEVEN SAMURAI and ERASERHEAD, why would you expect replacement discs? Or is their a different list? This whole thing is confusing as hell. I only have M on the list, and I planned on sending it back. :S

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Russell G said:
The only list of potentially defective titles on their site is this:
The potentially affected Blu-ray titles are:
Howards End
M
Paris, Texas
Pierrot le fou
The Seventh Seal
Summer Hours
Walkabout

So people sending in STAGECOACH, SEVEN SAMURAI and ERASERHEAD, why would you expect replacement discs? Or is their a different list? This whole thing is confusing as hell. I only have M on the list, and I planned on sending it back. :S
Thank you for that listing. I hope that is all the titles affected by this problem. As I already took the time to view Stagecoach, but would like to avoid doing the same for Seven Samurai.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Russell G said:
The only list of potentially defective titles on their site is this: The potentially affected Blu-ray titles are:Howards EndMParis, TexasPierrot le fouThe Seventh SealSummer HoursWalkabout So people sending in STAGECOACH, SEVEN SAMURAI and ERASERHEAD, why would you expect replacement discs? Or is their a different list? This whole thing is confusing as hell. I only have M on the list, and I planned on sending it back. :S
There was a separate issue with Eraserhead which resulted in replacements being issued.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
ERASERHEAD was a separate issue... the transfer was faulty... a reaction shot was inadvertently replaced with blank leader... it was less than two seconds... but still. Criterion discovered the flaw too late to stop the first pressing from going out.

As for the list... those are the official titles that could suffer from bronzing, but I can guarantee you that my copies of DAYS OF HEAVEN and BIGGER THAN LIFE are obviously discolored. DAYS OF HEAVEN still plays in both my players however... while BIGGER THAN LIFE only plays in one. M ... which I mailed in for a replacement ... wouldn't even load in my Samsung, but loaded in my LG, but wouldn't play...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I just feel that sending in discs that have no issue and play fine is an abuse of that exchange offer. Its for the defective copies, not every copy ever made. Might as well send in the replacement disc you receive for another replacement disc every six months because it *might* go bad in the same exact way in a year or two. Make it a semi-annual tradition to turn over every Criterion disc you own...

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Brandon Conway said:
I just feel that sending in discs that have no issue and play fine is an abuse of that exchange offer. Its for the defective copies, not every copy ever made. Might as well send in the replacement disc you receive for another replacement disc every six months because it *might* go bad in the same exact way in a year or two. Make it a semi-annual tradition to turn over every Criterion disc you own...
Brandon, that is ridiculous. Once a title on the affected list has been replaced by Criterion with a disc from non-affected batches, there would be no need to keep replacing it "every six months." If they happen go bad down the line, that's a completely different issue. This isn't about "in a year or two." This is about making sure you don't have to deal with having one of the specific FINITE discs from that one FINITE bad batch. I'm glad you have the time and the desire to keep checking your discs periodically; I'd rather have it be one and done and not have to worry. You're the only one who brought repeatedly replacing them (for unknown and unnecessary reasons) into the equation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Brandon Conway said:
Well that's your opinion while others like me disagree with it.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
JohnMor said:
Brandon, that is ridiculous. Once a title on the affected list has been replaced by Criterion with a disc from non-affected batches, there would be no need to keep replacing it "every six months." If they happen go bad down the line, that's a completely different issue. This isn't about "in a year or two." This is about making sure you don't have to deal with having one of the specific FINITE discs from that one FINITE bad batch. I'm glad you have the time and the desire to keep checking your discs periodically; I'd rather have it be one and done and not have to worry. You're the only one who brought repeatedly replacing them (for unknown and unnecessary reasons) into the equation.
Sorry for bringing a little sarcastic levity to the conversation...People were arguing to send in a perfectly fine disc even if it was playing fine and was not determined to be from the bad batch (which itself is not just limited to the specific plant pressing #, but only *some* percentage of those discs). I'm just saying I think that's a bit over-panicked and used an exaggeration to make that point. Sorry if that ruffled your feathers too much.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
WilliamMcK said:
ERASERHEAD was a separate issue... the transfer was faulty... a reaction shot was inadvertently replaced with blank leader... it was less than two seconds... but still. Criterion discovered the flaw too late to stop the first pressing from going out.
Does anyone have exact information on this? Or a link to point me to it?

I just picked up Eraserhead at the B&N sale this past week and would like to know where to check for the mistake. Thanks.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I've been buying Criterion BD's since day one. I haven't taken the time to do playback tests, as I just discovered this thread, and the issue.

After doing a quick visual check of my library, this observation was made: Walkabout is very bronze in color. Other discs, even those on the list do not, but…my oldest title, El Norte, is as silver as silver can be. A large number of others, many not on the list, are less "silver". One has to wonder if this is an early indication of the same, similar, or lesser problem, or is there a normal variation, however slight?

For a while at least, there was a somewhat golden or darker hue to DVD's, perhaps dual layer only.

But as they say, the proof is in the pudding. Time will need to be taken for playback, and it might be a while before I can get around to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks