What's new

Problem w/ Diana Krall DTS DVD (1 Viewer)

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Hello,

I have heard a lot of good things about the DTS track on the Diana Krall Live in Paris DTS DVD, so I went to BB and picked it up this weekend.

However, my system absolutely will not play the DD or the DTS track no matter what I do. Now, I have played hundreds of discs with either DD or DTS so I know it's not my system.

Is it possible I got a bad disc? I have never heard of this happening so I'm a little skeptic. I haven't tried to return the disc to BB because I know how anal they are about returning media...

Any idea anyone?

Thanks for all help,

PJ

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I can't see how it CANNOT be a bad disk. If you weren't getting one or the other, I could see why you might think it was a system error, but to not get either? I would definately return it. My version works fine and I put that sucker in my player at least once a month it's so good.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I have this disc and it is good.

Just a thought: do you have a player that requires you to set the audio to bitstream ? My PIA Toshiba DVD-Audio requires this, and I usually forget.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies guys...

Do you mean, setting the audio from PCM to bitstream? I know my DVD player has that option, but I do not remember what it's currently set at. If that is the case, why don't I have to change it for all my other DVDs???

Strange.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's the player, not the disc. There is an update available for the 2900 that adresses this problem. The 2200 had a similar problem and the update fixed it for me.

http://www.audioholics.com/firmware/index.php

Download and read the directions and follow them to the letter.

Forum rules state not to list your gear in your signature.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
John,

Wow, thank you so much. If you hadn't showed this to me I would have been spinning my wheels forever. Man do I love the power of the Internet!

Thanks again everyone,

PJ

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
PS. you can ask the moderators for a place to put a list, or if you have a home page, you can link your gear that way. My gear changed so often, I stopped updating...:) Good luck.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
John,

Should the bass sound as heavy as it does on this disc?? I feel like I should be turning it down a bit but it does come through clear. I'm just not used to music with so much focus on the bass...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you have your sub calibrated with an SPL meter? IMO bass is a little heavy on some tracks, but overall is relatively clean on this disc. It's hard to say because I just got a new sub so I am still sort of tweaking and dialing it in right now, but my first listen with this disc did not seem overly bassy.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
John,

I just recently bought a sub from SVS and have put in some time with an SPL meter. However, not nearly enough because I think the sub still needs some calibration to be perfect... I'm having trouble figuring out where to set all the different levels at since there are so many of them.... It still sounds a bit hot.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
:D I just got my SVS PB-10 last week. A friend has a 25-31PCi and that was already more than I need. If it sounds a bit hot, knock it down 1dB on the receiver and see how you like it. I know it takes me a few weeks to dial a sub in to get it just the way I like it. That's about how long it took with my HSU VTF-2. What model did you get?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I requested the actual disc from Denon but it didn't fix this problem on my 2900.I can play the DTS tracks but I have to do through it's "display" settings when it shows the track being selected by numbers.

Regarding it's sound,it is good but the mix among the worst I've heard.Diana sings in the front but her piano comes from the R surround is just silly. Another Al Schmidt travesty.:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks