What's new

Priority mail same as First Class mail? (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
My xXx DVD was shipped last Friday and I finely got it today. It was 3 days late. I opted for Priority Mail but they shipped it First Class instead.

Is Priority and First Class the same or are they different?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I believe Priority is supposed to be 2-3 days delivery tops where as First Class takes quite a while longer for packages.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I believe Priority is supposed to be 2-3 days delivery tops where as First Class takes quite a while longer for packages.
That is what I thought. I checked some of my other shipping boxes and all of them say First Class. The ones from a month ago say Priority.

In the past my movies always showed up the day before street or street date if Monday was a Holiday. Now more and more things are arriving late. I honestly believe it is the different shipping method.

Check your shipping boxes. If you live on the same side of the United States as the Merchant then it really does not matter. But if you live on the other side I don't think First Class cuts it.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
First Class is 5-10 days, I think. Deep Discount DVD uses the 5-10 day method from USPS for its free shipping option (I've always gotten them in 3 days), and I've used that every time except once, when I used Priority Mail to get one in 2 days. DDD ships from Illinois, and I've only had them ship to Ohio addresses.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I talked years ago with my local Postal Clerk, and he basically said Priority was a buzzword name for a flat rate first class- that First Class and Priority were handled no different- it was just a standardized flat rate for packages- more of an advertising ploy than anything.

That seems to have held true- if you ask for first class, and the weight exceeds a certain level- it is just "priority".

-Vince

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That seems to have held true- if you ask for first class, and the weight exceeds a certain level- it is just "priority".
Bingo! Cookie for Vince. :D
Anything over 13 ounces at a First Class rate is considered "Priority Mail." The USPS just wants to make it sound more important so that when your eyes bug out and your jaw hits the ground upon learning the postage rate, it seems like you're getting more for your money (a fancy envelope or sticker, but that's about it).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks