What's new

Prince of Egypt? (1 Viewer)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I noticed on PSN that they have a HD transfer of this for 17.99. If an HD Transfer exists, why no blu-ray? Same thing for ANTZ, what gives? I searched for an answer for this, but could find none. Forgive me if this has already been answered.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I imagine the studios have HD transfers for a lot of movies but it's up to the marketing people whether or not to put it on Blu-Ray.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Dreamworks + 2D = "What the hell are you talking about? Our first movie was Shrek!"

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Prince of Egypt, Antz, The Road to El Dorado, and Spirit are all wonderful animated films imho. All of them should be on blu-ray.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In Variety's article about the title for the third How to Train Your Dragon film, they dropped this little nugget of information:

Variety said:
In addition, to commemorate the 20th Anniversary of DreamWorks’ “The Prince of Egypt,” Annecy will debut a fully remastered print of the epic film. The 1998 film won the Oscar for best original song for “When You Believe” and was the studio’s first traditional animated film production. It told the story of Moses and went on to gross $218 million worldwide, making it the most successful non-Disney animated film up to that point.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/how-to-train-your-dragon-3-1202753864/

So...is Blu-ray next?

As far as I can tell, The Prince of Egypt has not been given a new transfer at all since its original DVD release; the various repackagings with different cover art over the years appear to be the same disc as always, and of course, there is no Blu-ray edition. So far, the only DreamWorks Animation traditionally animated catalog title that has surfaced on Blu-ray is Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, which was released with almost no fanfare in May 2014 on its own and did not lead to any further releases from their 2D catalog. Prince of Egypt has been on Netflix in HD in the past. I'm not sure if it's there now or not, but I've watched it there before.

But...why would DreamWorks, or their owner, Universal, go through the trouble of creating a remastered print of The Prince of Egypt just to show it one time at a minor film festival in France?

They have to be planning a 20th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray, right?

Here's hoping....

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This year is also the 20th anniversary of ANTZ. Let's go, DreamWorks!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Prince of Egypt, Antz, The Road to El Dorado, and Spirit are all wonderful animated films imho. All of them should be on blu-ray.
You can buy Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron on Blu-ray any time you like right now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks