What's new

Pre-Order Prince of Egypt (1998) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71RWi-dcCBL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Wow! Looking forward to this one. Love this movie. One of the great hand-drawn animated films. Very good songs.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I sold my blu-ray in anticipation of this. I also love this movie. I hope it's not degrained like the Disney ones! :rolleyes:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I sold my blu-ray in anticipation of this. I also love this movie. I hope it's not degrained like the Disney ones! :rolleyes:
Keep in mind that Disney, after 1990, had largely switched to CAPS [Computer Assisted Production System], so the films were largely generated "in computer" after scanning materials into the system and recorded out to film. Not sure if DreamWorks Animation had adopted similar techniques with its hand drawn titles, but it wouldn't surprise me, given Katzenberg was heading DWA at this point and scanning from a product recorded to film adds an extra layer of contrast. See the original DVD and VHS of Toy Story for examples.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Apparently the Universal Blu was sourced from a film out. I guess Dreamworks didn't save the original source files when they abruptly shuttered their internal animation department 20 years ago.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Apparently the Universal Blu was sourced from a film out. I guess Dreamworks didn't save the original source files when they abruptly shuttered their internal animation department 20 years ago.
True. They sourced a film out for the 4K Shrek with mixed results.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is a pleasant surprise. It took until 2018 for the film to be released on Blu-ray, so they're certainly turning around the UHD version much faster. I don't need the UHD disc, but I'm really happy for those who do that it is coming,

I assume the included Blu-ray will probably be the same as released before. But I'm almost tempted to get it because they are restoring the artwork from the original VHS and DVD releases.

The Blu-ray has only ever had this eyesore of a cover.

71-KL8fUEVL._SX522_.jpg

I probably won't actually get this one, but I am glad to see the return of the original artwork and wish that would happen more often with catalog releases. It seems like the covers are always being redesigned to progressively lesser results/

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've now watched this new 4K UHD of The Prince of Egypt, and it's a significant upgrade in picture quality. However, it hasn't had the near-perfect to perfect clean up that we often get from Warner Archive etc. It's very good, but once in a while there are tiny flecks of dust or other small imperfections. This does, however, make it feel rather like watching it in a studio theater with the people who made the movie back in 1998. As an animated film it's great, and the details that were put into the animation are revealed even more. Glad I picked this up.

I do wish Disney and/or DreamWorks would bring back hand-drawn animation for feature films, but in the meantime we can enjoy this wonderful piece of now 25-year old cinema history.

prince-of-egypt-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpeg
(JamieR)__PrinceOfEgypt(teaser)3.jpeg
prince of egypt.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks