Price Drop on the SCD-C222ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Elvick, Mar 26, 2002.

1. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

Hello All,

I was at Good Guys yesterday and saw the 222es for 499.95! Was this a mistake or has Sony started dropping prices again? I really want the 555ES but this at < than $500 this might be the ticket!

Thanks

James

2. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

3. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

The CE775 is definitely worth spending $200 on, as I used to have one in my system until I upgraded to the XA777ES. But, Jaleel, one point you make misses the mark regarding ES products, aside from the fact that they are generally more well built, is the 5 year warranty on ES products.

It has been said that the 222ES and the CE775 might be closer in overall quality than one might think, even though one is an ES product and the other is not, but I would suspect that the 555ES is a superior player. It has better internal parts, from those things I have read, and is probably closer to the XA777ES in overall quality than either the CE775 or 222ES could ever be.

That said, if I was looking for an inexpensive CD/SACD player you can't go wrong with the CE775.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    James, that's more or less what Oade Brothers has been selling the 222 for, $525 including shipping. So with sales tax I presume that's about how you'd come out.

Jaleel, you can be certain that the 775's analog outputs are mediocre for red book CD's. I bought the 555 and I can put a mixed bag of SACD's and CD's in and push shuffle and everything sounds good out of the analog outputs. Be certain that Captin Keith will land here and offer a well-qualified opinion since he has a bunch of SACD players including the 775. The 775 proably sounds OK for CD's out it's optical output into better DAC's. I'm overjoyed with my 555! Best wishes!

5. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

As a side note to Rachael's post, does anyone know about how good the DAC is in a Sony DB930? I own the 775 (which I love!), but was wondering if I should use the players DAC or the 930's DAC via optical cable for regular CD's.

Thanks

Matt

btw... The SACD of Stevie Ray Vaughn's Couldn't Stand The Weather is jaw droppingly awesome. I actually laughed to myself at how great it sounds. One of the better purchases ( the 775) I've made in a while!

6. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

7. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Good thing this isn't the Improvements/Tweaks forum, or them would be fightin' words. . .
    [​IMG]

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

9. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

10. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Hey, JaleelK, you figured out how to use the quote feature! Congrats! [​IMG]
    But back to the initial topic, Oade Brothers was selling the C222ES much cheaper than most other retailers. So this price slashing could mean that Oade Brothers will follow suit and lower their price on it as well!

11. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

12. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

13. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

14. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jaleel said:

16. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Keith,
    I had the 222ES for a week and just upgraded to the 555ES for the same price, since the price drop(hey, why not, right?).
    You will appreciate the better build quality on the 222 over the 775. That'll be one hell of a player for a second system. Hell, IMO, it was one hell of a player for a first system. [​IMG]
    DJ

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

David, I know the 'C222ES will be something else for a second system. I already have a 'C333ES in there, which is a great player. As you may recall, I bought the 'CE775 for the second system because I had a problem playing the Mary Chapin Carpenter multi-channel SACD on the 'C333ES (static). The 'C333ES is known to have occasional problems with certain multi-channel SACDs. One time with the static problem on the 'C333ES was too much for me to deal with, so I bought the 'CE775. However, I really wanted an ES unit for the better performance, build quality, and warranty. I just wasn't going to spend $525+ for the 'C222ES when I already had the 'C333ES. I can swing $380 for the 'C222ES, however. The 'C222ES is a good enough player that I could probably part with the 'C333ES, but I wouldn't get much for it now. I still love the build quality of the 'C333ES anyway (just like the 'C555ES).

18. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Having the C222 since Dec 2001,
    It's a great unit, just a bit loud
    during the cd change,
    Now priced at $380.
    It's time for a second one in system two.
    Thanks for the $380. lead.[​IMG]

19. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Can anyone pleased comment on the SACD/Redbook CD sound quality on the 222es compared to its more expensive counterpart the 555es? I would like to know if the 555es is now worth twice the money of the 222? I think with the 180.00 price drop on the 222, it will probably be the one to get. If the sonic differences aren't that apparent, then the 222 is a no brainer for 380.00.

Thanks,

Reg

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, I compared the two players at Tweeter awhile back and felt the 'C555ES was the better player, both with CDs and SACDs. As a result, I went with the 'C555ES for multi-channel SACD in my home-theater system and as my CD and stereo SACD changer in my main stereo system. However, the 'C222ES is an excellent value at $380. The 'C555ES is better in my opinion, but the 'C222ES is quite good. Sony's SACD players are all good at their respective price points.