What's new

The official "I have a Sony SCD-C555ES" thread. Tell your story here. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
It seems that a number of Forum members, including myself, have purchased a Sony SCD-C555ES in recent months. I have to confess that I am partly to blame for some people here buying the 'C555ES. :D I thought this would be a good place for owners of the 'C555ES to come out and discuss their experiences. Here are some relevant topics I thought we could discuss:
1) When did you get the 'C555ES?
2) Why did you buy it? Primarily to get a good CD changer? For stereo SACD? For multi-channel SACD? For all three? Did you buy it just to be cool and one of us? ;)
3) If the 'C555ES is your primary CD player now, what were you using before and how would you rate the 'C555ES in CD mode?
4) How do you like SACD in stereo and multi-channel?
5) What other equipment are you using the 'C555ES with (amp, speakers)?
6) What cables are you using with the 'C555ES?
7) Do you use the 'C555ES for playback of CDs most of the time or SACDs?
8) When playing SACDs, do you listen to stereo or multi-channel tracks most of the time?
Feel free to throw other questions or discussion topics into the mix. Here are my answers to the eight questions above:
1) I bought the 'C555ES in October, very soon after Sony dropped the retail price from $1700 to $1200.
2) I bought the 'C555ES to get a quality carousel CD changer as well as to get multi-channel SACD (I already had a Sony SCD-777ES for stereo SACD). Given that there are a limited number of multi-channel SACDs, CD playback was a main factor in selecting a new changer. That is why I chose the 'C555ES over the 'C222ES and 'CE775.
3) The 'C555ES is not my only CD player, but it is my main changer now. If you know me, you know I have several other players. :) The 'C555ES replaced a Sony CDP-CA80ES CD changer, which I sold. There is no comparison between the two. The 'C555ES is much better in CD mode than the 'CA80ES. I also have a Denon DCM-370 CD changer, and again, the 'C555ES is much better. So, I got the top-quality carousel CD changer I wanted in the 'C555ES.
My '777ES is a better CD player than the 'C555ES, but that didn't surprise me. The '777ES gives a better sense of realism (soundstage, etc.), but the 'C555ES is still very capable. I also own an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player with Siemens 7308 tubes and have only done limited comparisons between it and the 'C555ES. All I can say right now is that I like both players.
4) Well, if you know me, you know I love SACD in stereo. I have been extolling the virtues of stereo SACD since I bought the '777ES in October 2000. The 'C555ES gives me the convenience of a changer for stereo SACDs, which is great. The '777ES is the better player, mind you, but the 'C555ES is still excellent. As for multi-channel SACD, my feelings are mixed. It's nice for a change of pace, but most of the multi-channel mixes are gimmicky. Also, my home-theater system is decidedly mid-fi in comparison to my stereo system in the same room, and that could very well affect my appreciation for multi-channel SACD, not that I hate it or anything. I just prefer stereo. Always have.
5) I am running the 'C555ES from the stereo analog outputs to my main stereo system for playback of CDs and stereo SACDs and from the 5.1-channel outputs to my home-theater system for playback of multi-channel SACDs. In the stereo system, I am using an NAD C 370 stereo integrated amplifier with Totem Arro floorstanders and an Energy e:XL-S10 subwoofer. In the home-theater system, I am using a Sony STR-V444ES A/V receiver with Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers as the fronts and surrounds, an Energy e:XL-C2 center speaker, and an Energy e:XL-S10 subwoofer.
6) From the stereo analog outputs on the 'C555ES, I am using Audioquest Diamondback interconnects. From the 5.1-channel outputs, I am using Monster Interlink 400mkII interconnects.
7) I'd say I use the 'C555ES for playback of SACDs 75% of the time.
8) These days, I play stereo SACD tracks 95% of the time. As I said, multi-channel SACD is great for a change of pace. I only have a handful of multi-channel SACDs anyway.

Chip E

Screenwriter
"So I can't brag about my SCD-XA777ES here?"
I don't think Keith would mind that Ric :) (In the name of Jersey unity of course... ;) ) Jack? you out there Jack.. :)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Keith, I'm going to do a very preliminary run here (seeing as I have only run my player a VERY short time). I will be bumping this thread back up in about 4 weeks or so when I have everything hooked up the way I want it. Taking that for what it's worth, here goes.

Got the 555ES yesterday 12/27/01.

Bought the player because I am doing a full scale upgrade to my audio system. New CD changer, going to separates for the first time, new cabling, the whole 9 yards. Was using a DVD player as a source in the living room and frankly that was unacceptable. Basically was looking for a great sounding unit with a long warranty. SACD was a bonus. I figured if I was going SACD, I might as well go multi-channel, hense the 555ES.

What I'm using for comparison is the Yamaha CDP-91 5 disk changer that was in my bedroom 2 channel system. I'm reserving a comparison between the two units until I have some burn in time on the 555 and can A/B both units.

Stereo SACD depends on the recording. Some are incredible, some better than average, but so far ALL sound better than Redbook. My SACD collection is very limited right now so these comments could be expanded in the future. Multichannel reviews will have to wait until Outlaw releases the 950 for me to hook up to. Nothing I own right now has 5.1 analog inputs.

Right now, the SACD is hooked up to a rudimentary 2-channel system. Paradigm Studio Reference 40's for speakers, 14 gauge Radio Shack wire, stock cables and a 20 year old Harman Kardon 680I receiver. Still, with this crap hooked up to the 555, you can tell SACD is here to stay with the right support from the industry and the public.

I'm going to be using the 555 for 98% redbook playback and 2% SACD. I won't get an SACD just to get one..I will get the ones I want. Right now the only one's out there I'm interested in getting that I don't have on Redbook are Thriller by MJ and Couldn't Stand the Weather by SRV. Suggestions are recommended here for things I may be missing that are out there.

I only listen to 2 channel SACD output but that will change in a month or so (are you listening OUTLAW?!?!)

Again, I will update this post in 4-6 weeks.

-Ev

DougO

Stunt Coordinator
[gently nudging up]

Edit: Had the words previously encapsulated in 's and the words never appeared.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Looks like DougO is speechless about the 555 :).
Me, I spun the Sorpranos from hi-Rez Jersey over the weekend on my 555 and enjoyed it quite a bit. This multi disc sacd is one to run out and get, if you haven't already.
Oh yea, the 555 is great too.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I got the 555 to replace the Sony 9000ES in my main system neary 2 weeks ago. I wanted to move the 9000ES to my bedroom system. I nearly bought the 777ES but decided I really wanted a changer. My head unit is Marantz AV9000, Rotel 993 amp front, Kenwood Basic M2 for rear, Audioquest cables, Paradigm Monitor speakers.
I have enjoyed multi-channel SACD, except for Herbie Hancock's HEAD HUNTERS where they panned instuments around and it did't sound at all natural or true to the original recording. The Vivino Brothers' BLUES BAND, Miles Davis' KIND OF BLUE, Jazz At The Pawnshop, and several others have sounded pretty good to me in 5.1. I will be getting an Outlaw 6.1 bass manager on down the line. I do get more bass when using the stereo analog connection presently. I don't have either of the digital outputs connected. The 555 sounds very good playing CD's out it's analog outputs so far. I've only stooped to playing a handful of CD's to be honest.
I'm really enjoying having a changer again, it's been awhile. The 555 sure is a good one, me thinks.:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I didn't expect this thread to resurface, but I'm glad it did. :)
John,
The Sopranos: Peppers & Eggs on SACD is outstanding. It's a winner musically and sonically. Some of my favorites include Kasey Chambers "The Captain", Frank Sinatra "Baubles, Bangles And Beads", and Nils Lofgren "Black Books". This is a high-quality SACD set. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Rachael,
Glad to hear that you are continuing to enjoy the 'C555ES. It is an excellent player (with CDs too ;)).

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
I've read that for two channel material, the 555 sounds better using it's stereo outputs than its 5.1 multichannel outputs. Does anybody understand why this is the case?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks