What's new

Preparing MacGyver for HD (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Here is 1080p video from CBS for the MacGyver remaster (which was previously only available in a different video at 240p) advertising the release of the first season in October. Sweet Jesus, it looks good:

It certainly does! It's great that CBS is giving new life to O-R 1985-92 ABC MacGyver.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
It's great that CBS is giving new life to O-R 1985-92 ABC MacGyver.
It's great that it gets the OAR treatment on blu, and yet Charmed, which is also being released by CBS on the same day, has been opened up to wide. An odd choice, since I believe the first season of that show was in 16mm. At least it looked that way. It was awful grainy.

Wasn't McGyver one of the shows shot on film, yet finished on video? I suppose they re-created the credits and some of the effect shots for HD.

Wasn't McGyver one of the shows shot on film, yet finished on video? I suppose they re-created the credits and some of the effect shots for HD.

Yes, it was shot on 35 mm, but mastered on tape. Luckily, MacGyver never used much visual FX, so it's much less work to remaster than it's for Charmed and other FX-heavy shows. In the trailer, you can see that the blue lasers from the pilot seem to have been recreated and (which is the only thing I totally dislike about this otherwise awesome work) the logo in the opening credits has been replaced with the ugly generic font they've already used for the DVD artwork.

pA2BHq.jpg

zUQg8X.jpg

If they went through all the trouble to remaster this, they surely could have hired someone to hand-draw something that at least somewhat looks like the original and not so generic. Oh well. Just gonna skip the credits. :D

Here's an SD-HD comparison I just did for the pilot episode:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/123605/

The SD version is a recent HDTV upscale of the old German tv master (which is a little bit better than the even blurrier US masters they used for the DVDs).

I'm very happy with the new version, but yeah, they really could have dug out at least some bonus features if they went back to the original film stock anyway.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
I am still waiting for my copy. Amazon either didn't get the shipment on time or they sold out what they had. I preordered mine in advance.

genghis1179

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
I pre-ordered my copy of MacGyver Season 1 (1985) Blu-ray, it arrived a couple of days ago. I have been waiting for years for a HD release as the original DVDs are terrible. The excitement on the anticipation of this blu-ray release was maddening.

I could not be happier with the Blu-ray release, the clarity of the images is amazing. Kudos to the responsible parties for committing to this Blu-ray release.

On that note, does anyone have any ideas on when the remainder of the seasons will be released on Blu-ray?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I could not be happier with the Blu-ray release, the clarity of the images is amazing. Kudos to the responsible parties for committing to this Blu-ray release.

Being as you have it, does it have Paramount Television's Blue Mtn. of the time, or the CBSTD logo?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I got my copy a few days ago and I am pleased with the picture quality of the blu ray.

Bumping this up: glad you're enjoying the picture quality here! I think CBS is doing better with this new Blu (despite the lack of original production logos of the time, namely Paramount Television's Blue Mtn.) than they did with the DVDs, and I hope all of O-R 1985-92 ABC MacGyver comes out on Blu (that it's not a one-and-done).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks