What's new

Preparing MacGyver for HD (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
Here's a first lo-res side-by-side look at the remastered version:

The full press release is available at https://www.home.cbssi.com/news-press-details/the-original-macgyver-hd-remastered/

All seven seasons will be finished by the end of the year and there's no word yet on where/when they'll be released.

At this point, I don't think a BD release is very likely, considering that almost all studios have dropped HD releases for their shows. At the moment, this info is mostly for business partners, i.e. tv stations, so I guess the first place we'll see this will be during reruns on HDTV (like the new transfers of Family Matters and Kung Fu, for instance) and an iTunes download version will probably be available at the same time.

Koch Media has a license with CBS (as The 4400 and Jericho have already been released on Blu-ray to the German market).

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Also released on Blu-ray in Germany.... the first two seasons of The Guardian

Yes, it's possible that CBS shows are sublicensed by other labels. However, I just got confirmation today that there *will* indeed be a world-wide Blu-ray release coming from CBS/Paramount themselves! No word on other details yet (I really hope they'll dig up some deleted scenes and bloopers from the original film stock), but I guess it won't take long for them to release it once all the seasons have been remastered this fall. So we'll just have to stay tuned for a couple more months.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
The first season (along with that of Charmed), is set for release in France in November 2018. Very pleasantly surprised that these seem to be coming direct from the studio instead of through a licensee:

DjlwfeyWwAIwtMf.jpg

Very pleasantly surprised that these seem to be coming direct from the studio instead of through a licensee.

They are. But we'll have to wait and see if it's a good thing. ;) Often, the smaller studios (like Koch here in Germany) put much more effort in a great presentation with additional extras and bonus features, nice packaging etc. So fingers crossed that it won't be just a barebones release like the DVDs. (Still getting it anyway, though. :D)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
The DVD box set of MacGyver was pathetic, horrendously marred buy edge effects, chroma bleeding and a host of other anomalies back in the day when the studios believed they could just slap out TV series in any ole condition and the public would buy them.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The DVD box set of MacGyver was pathetic, horrendously marred buy edge effects, chroma bleeding and a host of other anomalies back in the day when the studios believed they could just slap out TV series in any ole condition and the public would buy them.

The only saving grace was that Paramount Television's original logos of the time (Blue Mtn. from 1985-87, CGI Mtn. from 1987-92) were on those releases, something that VEI has been very much about lately when it comes to their latest releases of Paramount series.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm guessing the same masters were used for the Netflix presentation. I was spoiled to other series being crystal clear HD, so I was all prepared to see him turn a rubber band into a bomb in HD. Nope!

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
The only saving grace was that Paramount Television's original logos of the time (Blue Mtn. from 1985-87, CGI Mtn. from 1987-92) were on those releases, something that VEI has been very much about lately when it comes to their latest releases of Paramount series.

Be prepared to say goodbye to the orig. logos for the Blu-ray release, unfortunately. New HD masters almost certainly means new end logos.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Be prepared to say goodbye to the orig. logos for the Blu-ray release, unfortunately. New HD masters almost certainly means new end logos.

Does that mean then that the Blus will make it like CBS Television Distribution was an original partner in the show, instead of Paramount Television as it really was then?

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Not sure if you all have seen this, but the cover art for the 1st Season has been released. I for one am excited!

macgyver_1985_the_complete_first_season_bluray.jpg

LEAVE HIM TO HIS OWN DEVICES. Own all 22 episodes from Season One of the original MacGyver, newly HD-remastered on Blu-ray for the first time ever! Re-live the adventures of Angus MacGyver (Richard Dean Anderson), a secret agent that outwits his deadly enemies with quick thinking and a few everyday objects he finds along the way. Armed with duct tape, a pocketknife, and scientific training, this expert problem solver’s missions are more intense than ever before. Get a closer look at the hero who proves brains beat brawn every time. FIRST TIME ON BLU-RAY! BRAND NEW HD TRANSFER; LOOKING AND SOUNDING BETTER THAN EVER!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks