What's new
World Wide Stereo

Power Transformer (1 Viewer)

JohnnyHE

Auditioning
Unique multi-national question. I have a Pioneer Elite HD RPTV (USA 110V model) that I am now using in Germany where the power is 220V. I am looking for the quietest, cleanest, and most consistent power transformer/converter to use with the TV. I've solved the PAL/NTSC issue and all my other equipment is dual voltage. Pioneer does not offer a 220 power supply for my TV. Any thoughts?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Ugh. Straight voltage conversion is easy.

60Hz to 50Hz conversion, well... that can be easy, too, but it's inefficient.

The best way to do it is with a 'reformer.' Basically, a reformer is an electric motor (in your case, for 220v 50Hz) coupled with an electric generator (110v 60Hz.) That'll give you the best power, at, what, a 60% efficiency? But it will be a clean sine-wave, and will also provide marvelous decoupling from noise and crap that might otherwise be traveling down the feed AC line.

But it's expensive, inefficient, and probably somewhat noisy.

And probably takes a fair amount of space, too. A good basement project, right next to your hot water heater and deep-freezer... but then, on the other hand, you can also distribute a limited amount of 110v60Hz AC throughout the house, too, right?

There's probably a more efficient way..

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks