What's new

Pounds vs Dollars (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Hmm. I believe there's actually a difference between Imperial ounces and US "British" ounces, isn't there? Or is it fluid ounces? I had a feeling that a pound or a pint in one place is 12 vs. 16 or something like that...

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
A pint of fluid is 16 fluid ounces in the American system [for internal consistentency], but comes a little over 16 oz of water by weight. For some reason I have yet to work out, Imperial volumetric measures are somewhat larger than the equivalent American measure, but do not come to [for instance] a standard Metric figure. An Imperial bushel is 8 Imperial gallons, and is equivalent to 1.03 bushel U.S.St'd; a U.S.St'd bushel is equal to 8 U.S. dry gallons, or 9.31 U.S. liquid gallons; and the Imperial gallon is equal to 1.20 U.S.St'd liquid gallons. The Imperial gallon, in fine, is equal to 160 Imperial fluid ounces [154 U.S.St'd fl oz, but the Imperial one is more accurate], while the U.S.St'd gallon is equal to 128 of the slightly larger U.S.St'd fl oz.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Most recently-printed books and recipes in magazines that I've used use metric only. But tablespoon and teaspoon measures are still used.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Ah well. Metric rules anyway. We'll drag the USA kicking and screaming into line one way or another! ;)

TheoGB

Screenwriter

I just can't help thinking of the infamous 'Stone Henge' sequence in This Is Spinal Tap. The fact that we're talking about Iron Maiden is just the icing on the cake... :D :D :D

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

A 'hogshead' varies in precise quantity according to the alcohol liquid under discussion, but is about 50 gallons. And a furlong is 220 yards*. So you're happy with a car that needs 150 gallons to go 220 yards. What the **** are you driving, Mark?

* i.e. 10 chains - 1 chain being the length of a wicket in cricket of course. Just fon't get me started on rods and perches.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks