What's new

Possible Release of Disney's "Song of the South"? (1 Viewer)

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
At least as helpful as a featurette about the historical context of when the film was made, would be one about the time period that is depicted in the film! That many former slaves living as sharecroppers DID live in shantys and DID still have interaction with their former owners in many cases, etc.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Disney could have two introductions. One geared towards younger viewers, and one for adults and film buffs. Personally, I don't understand the controversy. In the film, Uncle Remus is the only adult who truly understands and cares about Johnny. His parents are too worried about their own problems to care. James Baskett (buried here in Indy) won a Special Oscar for his role, and it is a shame that his legacy is oppressed because some people are so afraid of being offended. The film is so joyful that everyone can find something to take from it. And it also contains one of the five best Disney songs ever, IMHO.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
It might be a gamble, but Disney could "call the bluff", so to speak, simply by releasing SotS - then "those people" would finally be able to see how "lame" it really is...

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
See, that's the real problem here -- the movie isn't that great to begin with!

Outside of the cartoon segments, it's really a nothing movie which would put most kids to sleep.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Song of the South was one of the best theatrical experiences I had as a child. I immediately went out and bought the soundtrack. I was singing the songs for weeks.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Joe here. I hope this gets released, but for myself, I'll probably only watch the animated sequences, which are great. The wraparound drama, isn't terrible, but it isn't good either.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Imus situation should have no impact on this.

Apples and oranges.

I can't see where even people that would want to deny a release of SotS and create a link between the two events would be able to do so.

I think the recent various national news stories on the film and a DVD release are some kind of trial balloon on the part of Disney to build publicity for an upcoming release.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I've wanted to see this movie since I last rode Splash Mountain in the Magic Kingdom, and see for myself whether it's racist or not. I don't think it can be any worse than Dumbo (with the black crows).

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

As I've said before, and will continue to point out, PETER PAN's racism continues to be overlooked by the masses. There's nothing in SONG OF THE SOUTH remotely as offensive as "What Makes A Red Man Red".

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, offensive things aren't classified by how offensive they are....they're classified by how loud the opposition is. :frowning:

It doesn't matter if something is more offensive...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Not to mention the Asian stereotypes in the Aristocats. I'm surprised there has been no hue and cry over that sequence. Political correctness sucks.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
When a person or group feels their failures in life are the fault of other people, it's important for them to grab onto anything that will prove their thesis, even an offhand remark heard by very few on the radio or some mildly stereotypical representations in a 60-year-old movie.

So, the response to "Song of the South" will be very disproportionate to what actually is in the movie -- which is probably a fairly accurate representation of most African-Americans at that time and in that place.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
It was disturbing that the print of Aladdin I saw after the controversy began had the "offending" lyric hacked out, leaving an ugly splice and jump in the soundtrack. Did Disney order that done, or did some theaters decide to whip out a razor blade on their own?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks