What's new

Possible Release of Disney's "Song of the South"? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
If Disney was smart, their PR staff would build it's release around the positive aspects of the film (which there are many) and take on the ones calling it racist.

This would be a great opportunity to look those people square in the face and show that their close-minded/intolerable views are just as racist (if not more) than racism itself.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The ones who were persecuted are now the persecutors, with their, "We don't like this movie, so NO ONE can see it," or "We don't like what he said, so we demand he lose his job." It gives me the creeps, and reminds me of the Soviet Union.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Thanks Roger! I've never seen this movie and welcome the opportunity to make up my own mind about it. The recent publicity sure did seem like they were testing the waters.

I hate to be greedy for information, but does your friend know if this release will be unedited and present the movie as originally shown?

Steve

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Anyone been watching the big news in the media the past couple days? If one group says no to this release then it won't happen and I personally don't see this thing getting released.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I'll admit the same thought has crossed my mind. This Imus story has drug on a lot longer than I thought it would, and I don't see it going away anytime soon.

At the very least Disney may decide delay this awhile. Worst case scenario is that they get too uneasy to release it at all.

Steve

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Disney is a lot bigger than a small radio show. There's no way they'll get away with this release.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
There is nothing offensive about SOTS. Anyone who thinks it should never be released ought to boycott MGM, and get Gone With The Wind withdrawn from the market immediately. :P

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
It doesn't matter if there is anything offensive in the movie. All that matters is if people -- many of whom have probably never even seen the movie -- think that there is offensive content.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

That's exactly the problem I see. If Disney shouldn't release SOTS, it's hypocritical to allow Warner Bros. to release GWTW and allow any editions of The Birth of a Nation.

SOTS only has problems becase Disney is an easy target and "advocacy groups" (more like pro media supression advocates) know they can scare them when threatening monetary punishments. This would be the best opportunity for Disney to stand up for themselves and one of their films. I'd love to see how long a boycott of Disney would last because of this film.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Disney could very easily release the movie and include some explanatory bits (an introduction, a featurette, etc.) that explain what life was like at the time the film was produced. That would be the right thing to do, IMO, and would make the company seem sensitive to concerns of racism. There's nothing in the movie as crude, offensive or mean-spirited as Imus' comments.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Which is why I think this release should be handled in the same way as the Treasures title On the Front Lines. There, the shorts were prefaced with a Leonard Maltin introduction putting the racial epithets and demonization of both the Japanese and the Nazis into perspective. A similar approach would work well with SOTS, explaining the roots of the Brer Rabbit stories and placing the film in its proper historical perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks