What's new

Ported HE12.1 floorstander (1 Viewer)

KyleGS

Second Unit
Has anyone tryed out this design? Comment on the sound? I'm thinking of giving it a try soon. The cabinets seem huge but I would love the high efficiency of the comp horn AND ported mid/woofer. I'll be running it with ~200wpc of SS A/B power for a stereo only app.

Also....does anyone have any idea how close you could bring this to a tube TV? (2ft?)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member

I have the sealed version, and that's my living room. I haven't noticed any problems on the TV. That's a 27" TV, if you want to get a size reference.

KyleGS

Second Unit
They look great... Care to comment on the sound? Do they really seem as efficient as they claim to be? Any harshness out of the compression horn?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I like the sound a lot. Midbass dynamics/punch is really good (I have them high-passed at around 60Hz), drumkits that were pretty anaemic on my previous speakers (GR Research Paradox 1s - 88dB 5 1/4" bookshelves) come to life on these. Midrange and treble is slightly less refined/smooth than my prevous speakers, I think. I don't find the treble harsh at all, in fact I changed the crossover to raise the upper treble a couple of dB, I thought it was too laid back. The midrange/lower treble is slightly forward, the way I like it - brass instruments have a realistic rasp to them, you can hear violin bows scraping on strings. The upper treble (cymbals etc.) is further back. Soundstage/imaging - I think they do a pretty good job here as well. Those aren't high on my priority list, and my room's not ideal anyway, so I don't really bother with those parameters. Efficiency - all I can say is that they're a lot more efficient than my previous speakers. And they don't seem to necessarily play a lot louder at the same volume setting, they play more effortlessly, with less strain, if that makes sense.

Look through www.audioasylum.com for reviews of the HE10.1, you'll find more posts that way than if you search for the 12.1. The compression driver/horn is the same on both speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks