What's new

Porshe SUV (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
And, the point being what? Nothing bad, just an observation. I like wagons and wish there were more. People make fun of things like the Lexus and Acura SUVs, but I dont mind them. I see them for what they are, a midsized highbody wagon with AWD. They probably handle pretty well, get decent gas milage and have more room than even a large/fullsized sedan. I just think that the comercials that try to push these things off as rugged off-roaders is rediculous. There are probably 3-5 SUVs on the market today that I would take on anything worse than a gravel or dirt road. Lets stop fooling ourselves, thats all.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
It was really funny when C&D tested the Acura MDX... they said "shh...it's a minivan"! They took it on a dirt road and it whined. I guess Acura showed sketches to men and extended the nose by 1/4" each time until they said "It's an SUV" and then they were done...
I like what Dennis Miller said in a rant about SUV's... You can't gripe about drilling in Alaska with your Lincoln Navigator. And someone said something about the Navigator with the Earth First bumper sticker on it... funny.
Personally, I think SUVs are ok, but I couldn't justify getting 10 mpg for a vehicle that will never see a bumpy road. Get an Outback, Accord Wagon (RIP) or Camry Wagon (RIP) if you need to go snowboarding like me... :D

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Accord Wagon (RIP) or Camry Wagon (RIP)
With the success of the Subaru wagons, the Mazda Protege 5, and probably a wagon variant of the Mazda 6, maybe we will see Accord and Camry wagons again. I hope. One thing I dont get about SUVs, is that all but the VERY largest have less space than a Minivan. My in-laws have a dodge caravan. It seats 6 VERY comfortably, 7 in a pinch, and take the seats out and it hauls 4X8' plywood, drywall, etc with the hatch fully closed. You cant do any of that with a Trail-blazer, Exlorer, not to mention the all the cute-utes. I dont have a beef with the Lexus and Acura suvs. They make a LOT less comprimises than some of the bigger american SUVs. Just dont think about it as a ORV, its not. Since when did SUV have to mean ORV. Most of them have a pretty high amount of utility, but most of them also have no sport what so ever. I can say sport and vehicle in the same sentance as the name of a truck that rolls over if you take a corner at more than 20 mph. Thats where some of the car-based suvs win in my book.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Do we really need another SUV? The specs for this Porshe are appealing, but I'm a bit burnt out on the whole SUV craze. For some, they are very useful, but for others, it's like a drivable B2 bomber. I think a person should not only have to apply for a special liscense to drive an SUV (much like a CDL or tank liscense) they should also have to prove to the DMV, their insurance company and an unrelated 3rd party that they can justify the need for an SUV. Everyday on the way to work, I'm almost assulted by the NASCAR driver who isn't happy with 70mph on the interstate yet refuses to use one of the other two lanes to go around so they just ride your ass so close you can't see their headlights, some teenager on her cell phone while putting on her makeup, a soccer mom who was delayed at the wicker furniture botique and is late to pick up the kids, or some hard core gangster-wannabe rolling his 24" chrome wheels just to let you know he got game. HEY!!! Bling bling, Charlie Brown! Now park that damn thing and quit cutting me off. I gotta get to work. Bad drivers are always gonna be bad drivers, but do we have to give them a weapon of this calibur? I think bad drivers should all be required to scoot around all day on mopeds. That way, when they smack 3 people while trying to squeeze into a parking space designed for a VW Beetle, the damage will be minimal at best - maybe just a rubber mark from their handlebar grips.
It irks me to no end that folks go out and buy the biggest SUV they can possibly find, when it's just a family of two or three people. Near where I work, most SUVs are driven by retired couples. Wait a minute....let me calrify that. Most SUVs are parked in the street because they can't fit in the driveway, let alone the garage by retired couples. The street has recently become a downhill slalom course where you get sued for hitting the flags. Let's take a look at the Excursion. Is that thing really useful? It's like driving a small home. Not even a family of 14 could need such a big vehicle.
I have no problem with SUVs as long as they are not sold to the idiots amongst us. Maybe we could develop a test like some kind of aptitide test. Make those least responsible walk or give them a skateboard.
Of course that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Well, personally I think any person should be able to buy any vehicle their heart desires. The main problem in the US is the lack of driver education and skills. I heard in Germany a license costs roughly $900, and you are required numberous hours of driving time in various situations (ie, highway, city, etc...) before you can pass.

Think about it. Most drivers today take drivers' ed in high school. How many of you are 100% sure you can take the written test and pass it on your first try? It's been so long ago for most of us. I think we need to improve our driver education system before we try and limit what people can and can not buy.

Mike D.

Sujeet Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sujeet
Some of the comments on here are downright goofy.. The Cayenne is one of the most capable SUVs, because of the time (4 years) and development Porsche has put into this car. It has more off-road prowess than most SUVs on the market right now, yet it can also go 155mph.. It puts the ML55 and the X5 to shame. Porsche doesn't do anything half-assed, that much is for sure.

Entry isn't cheap - The TT version will start at around $89K. This isn't even in the same class as an H2. Nor is it meant to compete with it. The Cayenne was developed mainly for current Porsche owners who owned SUV's in addition to their P-car. Why have that traffic go to other competing brands? Why not cash in on it themselves?

Whoever said there's a $30K entry-level car coming from Porsche is sorely mistaken. While there are rumors abound, there are only 3 cars in their lineup for the foreseeable future. Don't ask me how I know, because I'll ignore the question.

Porsche doesn't give a crap if non-Porsche owners buy this truck. Most won't have the means to afford it. But they know that current Porsche owners will remain loyal to the marquee.. Having driven a Porsche for the last 4 years, it's completely spoiled me - No other car manufacture makes a car that can provide the same driving experience. So until someone does, I will continue to buy Porsches.

"Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

My $25k Toyota goes 160mph with a 1.8L 4-cyl and rides like it's on rails. Since I don't race, that's good enough for me. I don't have to buy a status symbol to enjoy a good ride with good preformance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks