What's new

Popeye the movie back cover is up at Davis dvd.com! (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Robert Altman's best film and severely underrated :)

I'll be picking this bad boy up regardless of Special Features.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Hold on there, Rob! I love POPEYE too, but Altman's "best film"? What about M*A*S*H and NASHVILLE? You're opening up a can o' worms there maytie!!! ;)

The IMDB lists POPEYE as having a 2.35:1 AR. This seems consistent with most of Altman's work.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know if the songs on the French-dubbed track will be in French or English? (They hardly make sense in English!)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for pointing that out! Less than 15 bucks makes a "must buy" so much more enjoyable.

Still a bit disappointed about Zero Extras, but I do appreciate the price cut, so my thanks to Paramount.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I don't remember it specifically, but if it was the last shot before the credits roll than it was just the common practice of showing the credits without the anamorphic spread so that none of the credits are cut off on the side. It was common for TV broadcast in the late 70's and early 80's.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Wait! This DVD doesn't have "full color disc art" gosh darn it! No sale!!!

I might pass on this, because AFAIK Disney still owns the rights to it here in the UK, and they might do something with it eventually. Mind you, the last time I saw a copy it was in terrible shape, with torn elements, jumpy cuts, horrendous dirt, etc.

The lack of extras is very disappointing, since it had such a troubled production, and there are at least two quite different versions of the film in circulation (the European version is about a quarter of an hour shorter, according to the IMDb).

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I might pass on this, because AFAIK Disney still owns the rights to it here in the UK, and they might do something with it eventually.
As you said, the European version of Popeye is cut by approx. 15 minutes. I checked the BBFC database, and the UK version was indeed shorter than the US version, so the IMDB is definitely correct on this one. Unless they restore it (which I kinda doubt) I'm sure an eventual R2 DVD will be cut as well.

Chris

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I'm sure an eventual R2 DVD will be cut as well.
I wouldn't be quite so certain.

It's possible that Paramount and Disney have come to an agreement about sharing restoration or remastering costs on Popeye and Dragonslayer (both are Disney titles in Europe, Paramount in the US, and both are being released by Paramount in the near future). If so, it's probable that if Disney do decide to release Popeye again in Europe they'll use Paramount's version. (The existing UK tape was taken from an early 90s telecine transfer, which probably wouldn't be adequate for DVD use).

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Julian,

agreed, it's possible. But since I'm a pessimist by nature, I always fear the worst. :) Eastwood's Firefox has taught me that, as the R1 has the longer cut, but the R2 was the shorter 2 hour cut. And in that case it's even the same studio (Warner).

Chris

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Don't forget about the full color artwork on the disc
Coming from Paramount, I'm surprised we can't see the "Memorex" logo through the disc artwork.

Even more surprised that their discs come in keepcases instead of brown wrapping paper.

Nice to know they, um...care. :rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks