What's new

Bring 'Em Back Alive Bad News (1 Viewer)

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Well--there's bad news for this show being put out on DVD. A year and a half ago I read on a Facebook post that Fabulous Films was going to put this 1982 show out on DVD and that they were working on the masters for a 2021 or 2022 release.
But now, after a long hiatus, I got an Email from Fabulous Films saying that Sony entertainment couldn't provide suitable masters for the "Bring 'Em Back Alive" show after all.
They got me excited for the upcoming release only to wind up disappointing us with this news.
Was there anyone here wanting to see this show remastered on DVD or Bluray?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Well--there's bad news for this show being put out on DVD. A year and a half ago I read on a Facebook post that Fabulous Films was going to put this 1982 show out on DVD and that they were working on the masters for a 2021 or 2022 release.
But now, after a long hiatus, I got an Email from Fabulous Films saying that Sony entertainment couldn't provide suitable masters for the "Bring 'Em Back Alive" show after all.
They got me excited for the upcoming release only to wind up disappointing us with this news.
Was there anyone here wanting to see this show remastered on DVD or Bluray?

I probably would have enjoyed it freshened up for DVD or Blu (and believe it or not, I probably would have taken it any way it came, even if it were not freshened up; quite a few of my favorites have stood the test of time with me despite being presented in their raw, unremastered form).

That said, it's a crying shame that we may not get this show at all just because Sony apparently couldn't spruce it up (as I'm reading you here).

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I don't understand how they were able to get good masters of some shows from the 60's such as Lost in Space for Blu but they couldn't for a show almost twenty years newer.
I wonder what type prints the streaming service Crackle (owned by Sony) can come up with if they streamed it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I don't understand how they were able to get good masters of some shows from the 60's such as Lost in Space for Blu but they couldn't for a show almost twenty years newer.
I wonder what type prints the streaming service Crackle (owned by Sony) can come up with if they streamed it.
Lost in Space was shot/edited on film. They re-scanned the negatives for the b/w and CRI's for the color episodes. Sheila (Irwin's widow)Allen approved the cost of the restorations before she died. Starting in the 70s to save money shows were shot on film/edited-mastered on tape that at most had 525 lines of resolution (interlaced) does not have the image quality that 1080p would.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Lost in Space was shot/edited on film. They re-scanned the negatives for the b/w and CRI's for the color episodes. Sheila (Irwin's widow)Allen approved the cost of the restorations before she died. Starting in the 70s to save money shows were shot on film/edited-mastered on tape that at most had 525 lines of resolution (interlaced) does not have the image quality that 1080p would.
Editing on tape didn't become common until the mid-80s, so it's likely it was completed on film.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I would have gotten this. This show was one of two 1982 series to try and capitalize on the success of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The other was Tales of the Gold Monkey, which came out on DVD at least a dozen years ago; don't know if it's still available.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I would have gotten this. This show was one of two 1982 series to try and capitalize on the success of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The other was Tales of the Gold Monkey, which came out on DVD at least a dozen years ago; don't know if it's still available.
it was avalable for years until the Stephen Collins scandal back in 2015 pulled from selves and sadly they got OOP like 7th Heaven isn't on television or anywhere else because of Stephen Collins scandal.this one season wonder from the 80's is seem very rare and very hard to find.Bring Em Back Alive was planned but it was never released.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

I wondered about that, but I took a look on Amazon and it says "Tales" is available and in stock to purchase. ???

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The Irwin Allen shows were also pretty well preserved in the Fox vaults. They all look outstanding. It all depends on how well they were cared for in the respective studios. Batman looks great and even the TV prints of The Green Hornet look pretty good. An official release of that show would be sweet.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The Irwin Allen shows were also pretty well preserved in the Fox vaults. They all look outstanding. It all depends on how well they were cared for in the respective studios. Batman looks great and even the TV prints of The Green Hornet look pretty good. An official release of that show would be sweet.
As with Bat-Man 1966 - the rights to the IP for GH would be with WB and the elements with Disney. Fortunately FOX & WB worked together to produce the Bat-Man TV series blu-rays.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
AFAIK M*A*S*H (1972-1983) was the last regular Network TV show to be completely shot/edited on film.

Nah, it wasn't until the late 80's that it became commonplace. V was shot and edited on film and that ended in 1985. The A-Team also ended in 1987 and was edited on film. Dallas switched over in their 1987-88 season.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Nah, it wasn't until the late 80's that it became commonplace. V was shot and edited on film and that ended in 1985. The A-Team also ended in 1987 and was edited on film. Dallas switched over in their 1987-88 season.
V the series has been discontinued for years maybe a tsod rerelease would be great.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
V the series has been discontinued for years maybe a tsod rerelease would be great.
It needs a sprucing up first. The prints used in the DVD release were pretty bad. And the flipper discs were awful. I had to buy three sets back them to get some episodes to play. I have the PAL set from the UK and the prints there are a little different. They look the same but they keep the commercial break fade out on the episodes that were edited together in the US. A few others have badly muffled sound. But they're on single sided DVDs if you can tolerate the PAL speedup (and if you have a region free DVD player).

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Some of those episodes must have good enough masters where they could make a collection release featuring at least a portion of BEBA episodes on DVD. I don't know what other company would show interest in producing an issue of this show though.
Fabulous Films had it on their mind because of the "Gold Monkey" DVD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks