What's new

Popeye the movie back cover is up at Davis dvd.com! (1 Viewer)

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
I was hopnig for a commentary by Altman and Williams.
Golly! Not even a lousy trailer. Thanks Paramount!!!
At least its W I D E and 5.1

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Typical great news/bad news from Paramount.

Oh well. I really wanted this one on (OAR) DVD so I'm not about to start complaining now.

Some form of featurette would have been appreciated though... ;)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Dont get me wrong, ill be picking it up too, just a little dissapointed about no trailer. In the year 2003, with all the full blown special editions, trailers should be mandatory, if not anything else.:angry:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
and what's so SPECIAL about those special features ?
"Special Features not rated"...good to know we get unrated English Subtitles! Whew...I was worried about that one! :)

How about the studios change information like that to a box that says "Specifications", and leave the box called "Special Features" for the actual *supplements* (if available)?

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
What special features would exist anyway? And can we safely say that this is yet another product of the extra-hating Eric Doctorow regime? (Doctorow resigned early this year; could some of the discs his regime was working on still be coming out now?)

(People who know a lot about Paramount will understand what I mean...)

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
:laugh:

That's a stunning misuse of the phrase 'Special Features'.

"Hey look everyone! You can watch with a French mono track!"

I'm beginning to believe that whoever is in charge of dvd's at Paramount is a little 'special' himself. :rolleyes

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
What some folks forget is that this was a co-production with Disney, much like DRAGONSLAYER. The film has been tied up in legal limbo for some time. It may be that any additional materials just aren't available. Also, Williams and Altman aren't exactly fans of the film, so I'm not sure that they would want to relive the bad times in a commentary. I'm just happy to get the film in its OAR and in a multichannel mix. Too bad that it's Paramount and will be overpriced.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
What special features would exist anyway?
Besides the trailer? My memory is hazy on this but I'm pretty sure I have seen a promotional featurette-style film which showed the huge and very impressive sets being built, but possibly I saw this on one of the news magazine tv shows.

Although I can't say definitively right now what might exist without digging out some articles and old videotapes, I'm big on Altman and I know that this film attracted considerable press and was heavily promoted and merchandised. If they wanted to, they wouldn't have trouble finding *something* to add to the disc. (Edited to add that Brian makes a good point that there might be clearance headaches involved since, as he says, this was a co-production)

(As an aside, here's an example of how heavily merchandised this movie was, in pre-Happy Meal days: there was even official 'Popeye movie' kids' shampoo!)

I'm not gonna complain that this disc is bare-bones. It's clear to me these days that not all of the Altman films I want are going to make it to dvd, so I'm happy that this one will. If a different studio was releasing it, maybe there'd be extra content...but here's what matters most to me: because Paramount has it, this "family film" is being released OAR.

Sold.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The forgot to mention chapter-stops and "color" among the special features list :D

In any case...I'm also happy just to get a 16x9 OAR copy of this film. It's a buy.

-dave

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't complaining that the disc is bare-boned. Sure I'd like a trailer, but I'll take this release as-is.

I was merely commenting on the description of "Specifications" as "Special Features". I think most of us were.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
No one was complaining, David.

I'm so used to those "special features=specs" boxes from Paramount; can't they jazz 'em up a bit? How about listing "disc-holding hub" and "side security sticker"?

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
LOL, special features.

I'm sure I am not the only one that thinks that those features should be standard for any DVD.

Brad M

Second Unit
It's been a long time since I have seen this and never in it's OAR. Does anyone remember a scene at the end of the film when Popeye is walking on water and they squeezed the whole image into the p&s version? It was one shot where everything looked really bad.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I think studios often sell their product short. I mean "Special Features" are listed and no mention of the "Three Collectible Security Stickers"?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks