What's new

Pootie Tang - What a great flick! (1 Viewer)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Hey all,

I just got this disc. It stars Lance Crouther as Pootie Tang, a man so cool he speaks his own language. Chris Rock is in it (Pootie Tang started on his show) as is Wanda Sykes (another vet of the Chris Rock show.) Louis C.K. wrote and directed.

The plot centers around a group of business-folk who want Pootie Tang to endorse their products, which he refuses to do. Pootie gets tricked into doing the endorsements, and then goes into hiding.

But the running gag of how cool Pootie is, is hilarious. Lance Crouther creates a character that walks cool, talks cool. It's a riot. There's a scene where a girl is sticking her tongue in Pootie's ear, and he stays stone-faced. I don't know how he did it.

Transfer wise, the 16x9 enhanced disc won't disappoint, and the soundtrack (done by Prince Paul) sounds great.

This film TANKED at the box office, but it has the potential to become a cult classic. Fans of "Fear of a Black Hat" and the Chris Rock show should check it out.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I loved Fear of a Black Hat. I never miss Chris Rock's HBO show.
But Pootie Tang ranks among the worst movies I've seen this year...and it's been a really bad year.
I will admit that there's probably a very entertaining 5-minute skit hidden in this 75-minute travesty. How this one got a wide release is beyond my comprehension.
I'm not knocking you for enjoying it, but it almost made my eyes bleed.
And buckle your seat belts for a trip over to the Movies Forum! ;)

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
It was probably moved to movies because yer discussing the movie more than the disc itself. Good movie eh? I'll have to check it out

Mike

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
This was one bad movie.

But I must admit, I did laugh at the part when Pootie was a kid.

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
The only thing that could have redeemed this release was if they had included a Pootie Tang commentary track (in character). Now THAT would have been funny.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
When I saw this movie the first thing I thought was that I felt sorry for whoever was going to be doing the closed-captions for the video release. Has anyone checked those out?

Hubert

Second Unit
I LMAO at the character Pootie Tang on the Chris Rock show. But when I saw the trailer I knew this one would be bad. So I stayed 100 miles away from this one.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
No entries in this thread since November 2001, huh.

I saw Pootie Tang last week after hearing how bad it was for months. I'm not a big Chris Rock fan by any means. I think his stand up routine is very weak. A good one here and there but still weak. I thought he was funny in Lethal Weapon 4 and great in New Jack City. I never saw this charactor in his HBO specials or whatever. The movie "Pootie Tang" had me cracking up !!! It's not for everyone, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Come you guys, this movie has lots of funny parts.

When Pootie Tang kicks yo ass, you can write it off on your taxes.

They never told Pootie Tang about his weakness, Hoes. You can't beat a hoe with a belt...they like that shit.

Ricoheting bullets off his braid, Matrix style.

All the belt whooping ass kickin scenes were hilarious.

All the young Pootie scenes were a riot. "Pootie !!! I can't take this. Take your big wheel and get out of my life.....call me"

Comedies are wierd. If you don't wanna laugh, no one can make you. If you wanna laugh, no one can stops you. I didn't wanna laugh, but I did, so it musta been funny.

Maybe Chris Rock does have some talent after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks