What's new

Polk RT600i Opinions (1 Viewer)

DaveJB

Grip
Havent heard much said about Polk speakers and was just curious what everyone thought about them.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Dave,

I have a pair of the RT600i's and I really enjoy them. I'm not very good at going into technobable as to why I like them though. They are just pleasing to my ears. Are you looking into getting a pair? Or just curious?

Dan Hine

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I would only consider Polk's RT800i's or higher. That or go with RT55i bookshelfs and some stands since they are small versions of the RT800i's.

Dan

DaveJB

Grip
Yes, I have a set of Boston acoustic sub sat 6's that I am looking at replacing. I just ordered a Denon 3802 and the speakers are next. I replaced the passive sub that came with the subsat6's long ago with a Klipsch KSW10. Right now I have Klipsch and Polk on my list. Since I have the Klipsch sub I have been looking at them a little more. My mix is probably 80/20 movies vs music.

Robert Barker

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running the 800i's and a CS400i as a center. Couldn't be happier. Listen to as many speakers as you can prior to purchasing. Each person has different taste.

Robert Barker

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
A friend of mine has a home theater setup with a Denon 2800 receiver, Polk rt600i fronts, a polk center, polk surrounds, and a boston acoustics sub. The sound on his system impressed me so much that I heavily leaning towards Polk speakers when I purchase new speakers. I admit that I haven't heard any higher end speakers though.

I thought the sound was amazingly clear.

Greg

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Dan,
Any reason you would start with the RT800i's and not the 600i's? The cutoff (-3db) for the 800i's is only 3hz lower (42hz vs 45hz). The 800i's handle more power but both have a 90db efficiency so the 600i's should work well even with less power. Doesn't seem worth the extra $200 (per pair) to me. I can see skipping over the R40's as they sounded rather weak. I'm not trying to argue, just trying to see where you're coming from. ;)
Dan Hine

Robert Barker

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running Def Tech BP2X surrounds. I just moved into a new home and will be selling these. They will bre replaced by in ceiling speakers w/ adjustable tweeters. I haven't picked a brand as of yet. The Def Techs worked great when they were mounted on my rear wall in my old appt, but now I don't have a rear, or side wall to mount them on they must go.

Robert Barker

Steve Alan

Agent
I own the 800s and I think they are worth the extra $$ over the 600s. The 600's have less bass and sound more sharp/harsh in the high freqs, especially as the volume increases, in comparison with the 800s. The 800's have a smoother, fuller overall sound; it's not really much of a competition, the 800s are just plain better.

The RT series of speakers are being phased out for the LSi line so you should be able to find a lower price on them in the near future. Good luck!

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well, I guess I'll have to listen again. I don't really understand why the 800's "have better bass" when they both reach well below where a sub would take over and the fact that they have the same tweeter makes me wonder why the 600's sounded harsh at the top end. Does the 800 have a better crossover maybe? I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not. I guess I'm just confused. Perhaps I'll take a listen tonight to both sets and make my final decision. (and I'll respect your if you respect mine...:) )
Dan Hine

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Just got back from listening to pairs of the 600i's, 800i's, and 1000i's. I'll preface my "quasi-review" with my own listening preferences (biases?) and the equipment used and also tell you I did not perform some "double blind test". This was a very impromptu comparison.
Sony DVPNC650V cd/dvd player
Harman Kardon AVR 520
Monster cable interconnects and speakerwire
I wanted to use discs that I am familiar with so I brought with me "Every Breath You Take: The classics" DTS CD by the Police, Trance Party: volume one (regular cd), The Matrix (dvd) and Armageddon (dvd). I use my HT about 85% movies/15%music
For 2channel stereo playback, I concede that I could tell a difference in both the 600's and 800's. But only slightly more bass. The largest difference to me was that the 800's were louder. Bumping up the volume for the 600's TO ME made the sound quite comparable and still didnt overdrive the 600's to the point that they sounded bad (sounded quite good to me actually). I noticed no change in the high end from speaker to speaker to speaker (yes, all three pairs) either.
A polk audio rep was also there and when I asked his opinion he offered this (very paraphrased): "As you go up in models the difference you hear should mostly be in just volume and the amount of bass. From the 600i's to the 2000i's each model uses the same tweeter so the high end should sound almost identical."
When adding a subwoofer (psw 650) to the mix for DVD playback once again the only difference that I could hear was in volume. I suppose that this change in volume could make the higher models sound "more full" but since I was able to reproduce the same sound between the 600's and 800's and close to the same sound between the 600's and 1000's I still wouldnt spend the extra cash for the higher models. Well, almost never. There was a pair of open box 1000i's for only $349 apiece (only $100 more for the pair than what I paid for my 600i's...very tempting)
Those of you that didn't like the 600i's that much, I am NOT trying to discredit you. You heard what you heard and I accept that. I just wanted to listen again so I could accurately tell what I heard. I suspect 3 things that could cause our different opinions. 1) You are much more critical listeners than I. 2) You use better equipment that I did (well, at least different). And 3) both 1 and 2.
So for Dave, I suggest (as always) listen carefully with the type of material you are used to listening to and follow your ears. They may hate what I like. :)
Dan Hine

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
I for one picked the R40's over the 600i's. For the sound, there was not enough difference to justify the price of the 600i. The R40's actually have more drivers doing the work, with two 5 1/4in. drivers, then the one 6 1/2inch driver on the 600i. R40's teamed with my SVS 25-31PC are just an awesome combination. Polk's will definitely be on my list of speakers to choose from when I'm ready to upgrade again. Hopefully when I'm ready, they'll have brought some of their new LSI speaker technology down to a lower price.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
So, I guess when I go to sell my RT600i's I'm going to have a hard time? :frowning: Oh well. I'll get over it ;)
enjoying my rt600i's all by myself,
Dan Hine

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Lee,
I like them, but to be honest they are really too much for me. I got them on impulse b/c I returned something for credit (couldnt just get cash back). And unfortunately I don't make enough money to just move them elsewhere when I upgrade/sidegrade/downgrade. I would need to sell them. Right now I'm sticking with them though. I'm not gonna get ahead of myself! :)

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Dan,
You can sell them to me :) I LOVE them but can't afford them right now.
Greg

NiravDesai

Auditioning
i think the rt600i's are awesome.

i went to buy the rm 6600's and asked to demo the floor standing models.

first i heard the 40's which i didnt like at all.

the 600's and above all sounded alike to me. i bought them with a polk CC and i'm very happy. (although to be perfectly honest, i dont think there was that much improvement over the 6600's when u consider my small room)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks