What's new

Full Range HT setup I have been thinking about trying...opinions? (1 Viewer)

Ed Werner

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have:
Integra DTR 8.2

Running:
Polk RT600i mains
Polk CSi40 center
Polk RTi50 surrounds
Polk PSW 650

I was thinking of:
Replacing my mains with RTi 70's if I can ever find a pair, and adding two more subs.

Currently I have the PSW 650 running off of the LFE, but if I buy two more subs, then I was thinking of hooking it up as such:

Putting each of the new subs in the front corners, then running the speaker level input through them for each L/R speaker respectively. This would leave a L/R on each open. Then Bi-Wiring my center and running one wire each thru each sub, and then to center.

Using the rear surround wires through the speaker level inputs to the psw 650 then to the rears. (more "normal" type setup)

Setting all speaker outputs to "Large".

What do you guys think? I will still get all the LFE effects from movies correct? Or will I be missing out on the buttshakin bone rattling type effects?

I figure say if there is an explosion in the front R part of the movie, bass and sound will come from that respective speaker/sub. If it is directly center, it will come though both front subs. If it is behind, then the PSW should take care of that (I am guessing there would be residual type bass also from the subs that aren't directly in line with the movie effects?)

Its just and idea that I have been kicking around for a bit now since I am close to upgrading my mains. I am happy with the psw 650, got a great deal and it hits hard, low and sounds very nice behind the loveseat. I think the only place I need to fill with bass is the front even though the sub does a descent job of bouncing the bass off the walls from the rear.

This is an 13x15 room by the way, and not a dedicated home theater, but my living room complete with a couch (left side), loveseat (rear and best sitting postion), recliner (right side), two end tables, coffee table, audio rack and 57" hitachi HDTV.

Yep its tight but I will sacrifice an end table if I have to.

Sorry so long, and if any details are needed I will be happy to provide.

Thanks,

Ed :D

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ed,

If you are happy with the performance of the Polk sub, there is really no reason to get two more, especially in such a small room (assuming the living room is not open to other rooms).

There are several problematic elements with your idea.

To start, it’s a well-known fact that the more subs you put in a room, the more low frequency performance deteriorates, not improves. For instance, you already have some peaks and valleys in your single sub’s response, due to interactions with room boundaries. Additional subs will also interact with the boundaries, and with each other as well. Typically the end result is that the peaks and valleys you have now will become worse, and there will also be new ones. Respected audio pros have determined these results in tests with extensive room measurements. My own tests in various rooms at my house, though not as sophisticated as theirs, have shown the same results.

Low frequencies are largely non directional, so you really won’t be able to tell left and right signals anyway. Indeed, with a crossover setting of about 80Hz, with 24dB/octave slopes, you should not be able to localize the source of a sub’s signal – unless perhaps you are very close to it.

Furthermore, connecting your main speakers to a sub via the speaker level connections is a bad idea. Those speaker level inputs achieve the signal division via passive crossover elements. Passive elements rob power, and they can alter the way a speaker sounds. In other words, you might notice a subtle change in the tonal characteristics of your mains.

Not to mention, it seems rather redundant to connect subs to speakers rated down to 28Hz.

If you want to fill the front with bass, just move the one you have up there to one of the corners. That typically gets the best response, especially after equalization.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
By the way, Ed, we aren’t supposed to include equipment lists in our signatures. You might want to change it before a Moderator notices. See #6 at this link, Forum Rules and FAQ.

If you click on the "Theaters" link at the top of each index page, you can have the Forum set up a web page for you with your equipment list, and even some photos of your system if you like. You can then include the link in your signature.

Regards,
Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks