What's new

polk audio speaker question. (1 Viewer)

MikeDP

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Phillips
Hey all, first time poster here, found this site on google. Here is my situation. I own a YamahaRX-V650 7.1 Reciever. I want to have the best quality sound I can with these speakers.

I dont have all the model numbers but this was all picked up as a set. I have Polk Audio Floor Towers, Center speaker, 2 R15 bookshelves and the subwoofer.

Basically what I want to know is can I purchase 4 more of the R15 bookshelves and use a set as Surround back, a set as the Surround Speakers, and a set as the presence speakers? If so is this a good idea? If not what do you guys suggest?

MikeDP

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Phillips
or.....was i speaking in jibberish and no one knows what i mean?

AndrewLevine

Stunt Coordinator
That would work. Its best to keep all the speakers in a similar series in a company to increase the odds of perfectly mathing the timbre. In most 7.1/7.2 systems that I have seen (and the one I own) all 4 rear speakers are identical. However, I would debate how many speakers I am running off a single receiver at a time. Presence speakers are a nice luxury, however depending on how large your room is, which towers you have, and other factors- they may not even be needed. If you want the best sound quality, it may be helpful to add an amp for atleast your towers.

MikeDP

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Phillips
Thanks andrew..thats what i was looking for...any suggestions on descent amps for a system like mine?

MikeDP

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Phillips
Thanks andrew..thats what i was looking for...any suggestions on descent amps for a system like mine?
also is it a good idea 2 run 6 bookshelves...2 rear surrounds 2 presence and 2 surround...or can i do without one of the sets and still have top quality sound with my system?

ryan.p

Stunt Coordinator
Mike I used to own a 650 and liked it. If you are using front left and right, center, and (2) sets of rear surrounds comprising a 7.1 home theater then you can use another set of speakers for front or rear presence speakers as long as you are not running speakers in Zone 2. I believe I am correct with my memory serving me correctly. It has been a while since I owned the 650. Just remember if you are using speakers in Zone 2 then you can NOT also try to power front OR rear presence speakers at the same time. If you do the receiver will likely go in to protection mode and shut down. Hope this helps.

AndrewLevine

Stunt Coordinator
How big of a room are you working with?- that is one of the biggest factors in deciding beneficiality of presence speakers. However, your ear will ultimately decide what sounds good and what does not- try a regular 7.1 set up and see how that sounds. If youre not happy add the presence speakers. If you feel that they are not all that helpful, return them, and invest that money in something else.

Personally I don't like presence speakers, but then again, my speakers have a very large soundstage and I have never had my system in a larger room where presence speakers could be beneficial.

MikeDP

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Phillips
well the room size is still to be determined. I am building a a 1800sq foot house and have not yet decided how i want to order the basement. So I have form now until Feb to learn whats gonna be best as of right now the max size i can have is approx 18foot wide by about 40 deep

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks