Polk Audio RT35i vs. NHT SB-2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny Tse, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

A little story first....last Friday, the Fiscal Office where I work called me to pick up a check. A check?? Since it was not payday yet, I wondered what was happening. Am I fired for being on HTF during work hours? Anyway, they handed me a check for $204.00 and told me it was from November 2001. I have a ton of questions for the Fiscal Office but when people hand me "free" money, the best thing to say is "Thank You" and leave it at that. Currently I have a pair of Polk Audio RT35i as my L/R speakers in a two-channel system. One of the other speakers I considered was the NHT SB-2. I got the RT35i because it was $250/pair and sounded quite good. On top of that, the NHTs were $350/pair. But now with the extra money, I am itching to "upgrade". First of all, is it really an "upgrade"? What do you guys/gals think?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would call it an upgrade. I like the SB2 and SB3. Very accurate and tight thanks to their sealed design, and some of the nicest enclosures I've seen.

*edit - if you're going to spend ~$350, I would audition Paradigm Mini Monitors. I love mine, and I liked them more than the SB2 and SB3. The NHTs need a fair amount of power and a good sub also, so that is a consideration. The RT35s were not quite as good, IMO. Are the NHTs worth another $100? I'm not sure they are either, but the Minis are.

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I've heard them both, they are NOT worth $100 bucks more a pair. Get a pair of polk rt25i for surrounds....[​IMG] (used by sterophile as a reference bookshelf).

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

anthony_b,

One reason I currently used the RT35i is that the system I am using will be more, WAY MORE, music-oriented. Therefore, surround speakers will be considered at a later date. Regarding the RT25i, excellent speakers.

John,

I auditioned both the SB-2 and SB-3, and totally agreed with your opinions. I actually owned the Mini-Monitors before but found them to be boomy in my small room. I believe the Mini-Monitors will sound much better in a larger room.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I run my Minis set to small, and my room is fairly large (~14x22), so I haven't noticed any boominess. Even set to large, which I often do for music listening, I am very happy with the way they sound. Good luck.