What's new

Polk Audio RT35i vs. NHT SB-2 (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
A little story first....last Friday, the Fiscal Office where I work called me to pick up a check. A check?? Since it was not payday yet, I wondered what was happening. Am I fired for being on HTF during work hours? Anyway, they handed me a check for $204.00 and told me it was from November 2001. I have a ton of questions for the Fiscal Office but when people hand me "free" money, the best thing to say is "Thank You" and leave it at that. Currently I have a pair of Polk Audio RT35i as my L/R speakers in a two-channel system. One of the other speakers I considered was the NHT SB-2. I got the RT35i because it was $250/pair and sounded quite good. On top of that, the NHTs were $350/pair. But now with the extra money, I am itching to "upgrade". First of all, is it really an "upgrade"? What do you guys/gals think?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would call it an upgrade. I like the SB2 and SB3. Very accurate and tight thanks to their sealed design, and some of the nicest enclosures I've seen.

*edit - if you're going to spend ~$350, I would audition Paradigm Mini Monitors. I love mine, and I liked them more than the SB2 and SB3. The NHTs need a fair amount of power and a good sub also, so that is a consideration. The RT35s were not quite as good, IMO. Are the NHTs worth another $100? I'm not sure they are either, but the Minis are.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I've heard them both, they are NOT worth $100 bucks more a pair. Get a pair of polk rt25i for surrounds....:emoji_thumbsup: (used by sterophile as a reference bookshelf).

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
anthony_b,

One reason I currently used the RT35i is that the system I am using will be more, WAY MORE, music-oriented. Therefore, surround speakers will be considered at a later date. Regarding the RT25i, excellent speakers.

John,

I auditioned both the SB-2 and SB-3, and totally agreed with your opinions. I actually owned the Mini-Monitors before but found them to be boomy in my small room. I believe the Mini-Monitors will sound much better in a larger room.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I run my Minis set to small, and my room is fairly large (~14x22), so I haven't noticed any boominess. Even set to large, which I often do for music listening, I am very happy with the way they sound. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks