What's new

PLEEEEASE Help! -> X1 Electrical Interference Problem? (1 Viewer)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Please HELP .... I’m really frustrated with this problem

I can’t resolve what appears to be a problem of electrical interference with my new X1 Projector. Here’s the story...

When I first got the X1, I connected it to my old Pioneer DVD player via s-video (a cheap 30’ cable). I immediately noticed 2-3 horizontal lines across the image. The lines or bands are slightly brighter than the normal image and scroll slowly upward. When I pause the DVD player, the lines keep moving (ruling out a DVD output problem). Could it be that my 1997 DVD player was subject to electrical interference?

So, I recently bought a new player, A Panny E60S DVD Recorder. This is a top end progressive player. I first connected it via the old s-video ... same problem. Then, I shortened the run to 10’ ... same problem. So I went out and bought new industrial grade component video cables and hooked it all up last night ... same problem (maybe slightly better). Note that component video connects to the X1 via a special s-video adapter, which I am using.

Now here’s the BIG catch... I tried my little Pioneer PDV-LC10 portable DVD player, connected via the long s-video run. NO PROBLEMS! Image is perfect. The big difference is that the little portable runs off DC power (via an AC adapter, just like a laptop).

This is NOT OK! I need to have my new DVD player/recorder as the primary video source in the HT. I don’t know what to try next. I have > $1.5K invested in new gear and I don’t want to spend another $500 on a power line conditioner.

Do you think an electrician could do some diagnosis? Any suggestions at all? I’d love to find a fix for the weekend.

Scott

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Scott

A couple things... First you should try using the VGA input for component since you have a progressive player. This will make a difference in most cases.

If you have or can borrow a line conditioner you should do so and see if that eliminates your problem. I had some issues that were cleared up this way.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Thanks for the response .... Using the VGA input bypasses the X1's internal Faroudja DCDi de-interlacer. This de-interlacer is better that the one in my Panny and I would like to try to make it work.

In order to use the VGA port, I would also need to find a component to VESA breakout adapter somewhere? InFocus is painfully slow.

Where would one go locally for a power line conditioner? Electrical supply or HT specialty store?

UPDATE from the X1 FAQ /
I have faint, wide bands slowly scrolling up the screen.

"It is a ground loop, which is caused by a difference between the signal ground and the chassis ground of the projector. If you have cable TV (which tends to be the culprit due to its ground being potentially a half mile away), disconnect it from the wall and the scrolling bands will probably go away. To fix it you will need an isolation transformer or you need to lift the ground of the projector (which is not recommended because you will reduce the safety of the product)."

Scott

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I bought my Rotal form someone here on the forum but I know there are many of them availbale on Ebay as well.

Any HT shop should have them and I know Monster has a few of them so Best Buy will probably have some version of one.

I found a big difference in sound as well as picture quality when I hooked mine up. If you have power problems these are a must have IMO.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Update ... Received an email from InFocus today confirming my suspicion that this is likely a ground loop problem. Then I found this technical bulletin that describes my problem exactly on page 3.

SOLVED! :D - I went home and disconnected the cable from the source and instantly the problem went away and the X1 picture never looked better. Now I'm off to buy a cable filter to remove the ground loop.

UPDATE: Bought one of these Ground Guards from Tributaries Cable (

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks