What's new

Please Help the Confusion (1 Viewer)

JesseA

Agent
I just set up my first HT system. Its the JBL NSP1 package and the JBL PB-10 Sub. I use a Technics reciever model SA-DX750 , and a 27" Wega. Anyways I'm really strapped for cash right now so I have to use my Xbox as my CD/DVD player. I have the High Definiton Pack for my xbox also. Currently I have RCA style cables going from the L/R CD audio on the reciever to the L/R to the Xbox High Definition control Pod. Running the system like this in soround mode results to my newb ears in great sound in movies and DVD's. The Xbox also has what looks like an optical cable output on it as well. To get true digital sound out of my DVD's and music do I have to use an optical cable or what?

Any other hints or tricks would also be useful

Thanks!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Welcome aboard HTF Jesse..

It's true, if you want true Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, you will have to buy/use an optical cable. You can buy one fairly cheap at your local Best Buy, even Wal Mart for that matter.

Hope you enjoy your HT as much as we all do!

Alfer

Chriss M

Second Unit
yes, you have to use the optical cable to get any sort of multi-channel sound. You won't be able to use dolby digital or DTS without it. You can also use the digital cable for 2 channel CD playback, which may or may not be better than the analog cables, depending on the quality of your receiver.

JesseA

Agent
Do most people listen to CDs in stereo or Soround Mode? Also should I set my speakers to small for better sound quality?

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Jesse:

The NSP1 package is definitely "small" all around. Otherwise, you'll end up losing a lot of the bass.

I personally listen to music in the manner in which is was recorded. If it's CD, I'll listen in stereo. If it's a concert DVD in DD5.1, I'll listen in that. etc, etc.

Plenty of people use DPL II or 5-ch. stereo, etc. to enhance their two channel CD's, and there's nothing wrong with that. Do what makes you happy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks