What's new

Please help, I need some closure! (1 Viewer)

Jackooze

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
Hey guys, before I begin I just want to let everyone know I am a complete newbie when it comes to home theater. I just finished renovating my apartment, where I ran 22 gauge speaker wire through my walls in my living. Me being the smart one thinking the higher the number the better the speaker wire, oh how wrong was I !!! So after the apartment was finished in renovations I bought the Onkyo tx-sr 606 receiver and the klipsch XL home theater system. Today I find out that I choose the worst speaker wire there is which will not work well with my speakers. There is no way I can change the wire unless i run them outside the wall which I don't want to do.

Will the gauge wire really make a difference with audio quality I will have or am I completely screwed ?? I am freaking out here thinking that the in wall wire was all a waste due to my stupidity and lack of knowledge in audio.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Can't you tie the 22 gauge and some 12 or 14 gauge wire together, on one end, and pull the new wire into the wall, as you pull the old wire out? Just make very sure they are tied together very well. After the knot is tied, you might also want to solder them together, just to make sure. Shouldn't be hard to do, unless someone stapled the wire to studs, which there was no need to do.

22 gauge isn't good, especially for long runs to the rear speakers. You can buy 100 ft. rolls of 14 or 12 gauge wire from Lowe's or Home Depot, for less than $30. It will work just fine. I've been using some of Lowe's 14 gauge wire (Philips brand, I think) for several years, with no problems, but mine isn't run in the walls.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks