What's new

plans, order of construction, pitfalls (1 Viewer)

jim rich

Auditioning
I have in my mind what i'd like to do for a home theater:
tiered seating, plasma, remote control curtains, sconces, remote dimmer, wainscoting on walls, etc. But I do not know order of destruction/construction. I have remoddeled bathrooms and kitchens. Have not seen anything to tell me order and what pitfalls there are. Home Theaters for dummies (me) book did not help. Any "How to" treatises someone can point me to? thanks for any suggestions. I am technical challenged, but can construct. I love the theaters i've seen on this site, but want to measure twice and only cut once. thanks jim rich

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Read the "Things That I Wish I Had Done Differently". You will find many suggestions. I would do everything you can without putting up the sheetrock. I would put folding chairs where your seats will go, hook up your sound system and take it for a test drive. I also bought plastic basement light fixtures for $1.50 each and installed them. I tested the lighting with them and they also added much needed light during the construction. this should give you an idea if you need to change anything. Once your sheetrock is up, it is hard to change these things. Then if your happy, take down the sound system and close up the walls. I am glad I did it this way because I moved some things. Most people don't put outlets in the corners of the room, but thats probably where your sub will need one.
Dave

jim rich

Auditioning
thanks for the reply. i did read things i would have done differently. most of that stuff was over my head (as to the actual components, i have a home theater in a box) i want the look of a theater. i really like your idea of setting up the home theater first. the sheetrock is already up, since i am converting a game room to home theater. there is attic above and one wall has attic to the side, so i can run wire up above. i am not very home theater smart, but i want the look of a theater with transducer (is that commonly refered to as butt shaker)attached to the tiered seating. have been to the local stores that sell theater seating to see how their home theater is constructed. but, i am worried that i am missing something. i really like your idea of a dry run before contruction. and i don't know where to put the dvd, vcr, etc, no closet space. thanks again dave, jim rich

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
here is a link to a site I found very helpful and informative on building a theater, you dont have to do everything just like this but it may help you get some ideas rolling, just click where it says "let the journey begin here" and it will take you through his construction

http://www.devotionsbyerik.com/E-Cinema.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks