Planet Earth DVD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oswald Pascual, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Has anyone tried these Planet Earth DVD's yet? I was thinking of getting one if it has a real nice Hi Resolution to use as a CRT warmer while I figure out what to watch. I think they come in DTS also, but have not seen any user comments yet. I did a search on the forum, but the search engine was down. Some screen caps would be nice if anyone has one.
    Thanks

2. Oswald Pascual

Bump

3. Wallace Mason

I haven't seen these videos but they sound interesting. Are they in DTS?

4. Oswald Pascual

Wallace my understanding is that the newest ones also come in DTS, I even read somewhere that they are native 480p, but did not trust that source.

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

If it's film-source material then "native 480P" becomes more a matter of semantics as in some sense *all* properly flagged DVDs mastered from film-source material are 480P in nature.

In my mind, the thing that should set apart "good native 480P" from "normal 480P" is that the video should not have undergone any vertical-pass filtering to minimize aliasing on interlaced displays...thereby preserving full 480P resolution in the final image.

I'm also very curious about these discs. Are they 16x9? Any links to them on amazon?

-dave

6. Oswald Pascual

Not all are 16:9 but it appears that all the newer ones are and DTS to boot!They are claiming the Format as 480P 30 and here is there explanation;

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

So it's not a film-based DVD...it's live 480P 30-frame-per-second video.

That might very well be a first on DVD. 30 frame-per-second 480P is part of the DVD spec and I've been waiting for someone to do something with it. I'll have to check it out!

-dave

p.s. it would still be important that no additional vertical filtering had been applied to make it more "interlaced friendly" by minimizing aliasing in 480I playback.

8. Oswald Pascual

Hey DaViD, if you find any new info on this share it with us. I have been trying to see if anyone actually owned one of these DVD's yet, but no such luck. I have read some reviews on it, but they really did not have good information. Remember that not all of there DVD's are made like this, but it appears that there newer releases are. They come in multiple aspect ratios as as well.

9. Oswald Pascual

Anyone?

10. Oswald Pascual

Bump