What's new

Placing the Center speaker behind a screen? (front projection) (1 Viewer)

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
If I pulled down a screen infront of the center speaker, will it cut out a significant amount of the audio range? Or are they generally fairly acoustically transparent?

Thanks.

Murdock

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Some screens (like those in real movie theatres) have lots of small holes and are actually marketed as able to be put in front of your speaker(s), but I don't think it would be a good idea to just stick your typical screen in front, I think it would muffle the sound quite a bit... To the top or bottom seems to work fine, anyhow...

- JS

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For speaker placement behind a screen, you will need a perfed screen but this will affect the picture quality somewhat and the worse the pixel structure of the projector is (assuming digital projectors), the worse the result. CRT is perhaps a better choice for using a perfed screen. What projector are you using?

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
This would be either an LCD or DLP projector. From what you all are saying, I'd probably just re-arrange to get the speaker below the screen. Thanks.

Murdock

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Christopher, I have the same setup. My center channel ends up being behind the screen. The simple solution to this was for me to go to the Mill Store and buy a small stepstool (about 1 foot tall) and pull it out and place the speaker on it when I watch movies. Works quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks