Placing the Center speaker behind a screen? (front projection)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher M, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Christopher M

Christopher M Stunt Coordinator

If I pulled down a screen infront of the center speaker, will it cut out a significant amount of the audio range? Or are they generally fairly acoustically transparent?

Thanks.

Murdock

2. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Some screens (like those in real movie theatres) have lots of small holes and are actually marketed as able to be put in front of your speaker(s), but I don't think it would be a good idea to just stick your typical screen in front, I think it would muffle the sound quite a bit... To the top or bottom seems to work fine, anyhow...

- JS

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    For speaker placement behind a screen, you will need a perfed screen but this will affect the picture quality somewhat and the worse the pixel structure of the projector is (assuming digital projectors), the worse the result. CRT is perhaps a better choice for using a perfed screen. What projector are you using?

4. Christopher M

Christopher M Stunt Coordinator

This would be either an LCD or DLP projector. From what you all are saying, I'd probably just re-arrange to get the speaker below the screen. Thanks.

Murdock

5. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Christopher, I have the same setup. My center channel ends up being behind the screen. The simple solution to this was for me to go to the Mill Store and buy a small stepstool (about 1 foot tall) and pull it out and place the speaker on it when I watch movies. Works quite well.