What's new

Pixelmator 3.0 is starting to give Photoshop a serious run for it's money (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam,

That is an awesome video. That's an app I am going to look into.

Thanks for sharing.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I am looking for a good workflow to watermark photos (from my Aperture Library, before export) -- anyone have any experience watermarking with Pixelmator?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Watermarks are teh debbil, so not me. Raher than rehash that, will simply say my views have not changed since this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/304329-watermarking-photos-brave-new-world/

I understand the desire to watermark but do not believe that current reality matches what people think they will do, but wish them well in their endeavors whilst silently groaning at the worst looking ones. =)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just tried to buy pixelator but I'm at 10.7.5 and 10.9.1 (I think) is required. That's Maverick. Are there any known incompatibilities with Maverick. Photoshop CS 6 will still work, won't it? I've got an epson printer that I've had for years, I presume there's a driver for it.

Guess I'm asking what are the con's to upgrading?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
There are NO CONS to upgrading to Mavericks. There will be NO CONS to upgrading to Yosemite.

Fear of upgrading is something that has ceased to be useful in the OSX world a half dozen years ago.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I see references to Sandstone and Marble versions. Are there different versions of pixelator?Never mind.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There are NO CONS to upgrading to Mavericks. There will be NO CONS to upgrading to Yosemite. Fear of upgrading is something that has ceased to be useful in the OSX world a half dozen years ago.
I would check you
Johnny Angell said:
I just tried to buy pixelator but I'm at 10.7.5 and 10.9.1 (I think) is required. That's Maverick. Are there any known incompatibilities with Maverick. Photoshop CS 6 will still work, won't it? I've got an epson printer that I've had for years, I presume there's a driver for it. Guess I'm asking what are the con's to upgrading?
http://roaringapps.com/app/adobe-photoshop-cs6Yes.I suggest checking important apps there. I agree 95% with Sam. Upgrading for the home user is getting easier and better every iteration. But if you're a pro or can't afford upgrading software, you should be conservative in your upgrades. That said, Lion to Mavericks is recommended. Bug fixes, security improvements, better iCloud and iOS integration.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've installed Mavericks and Pixelmator. One thing I noticed right away is that it used the old photoshop style of work area. Almost the entire desktop (and any apps open) are displayed. Only the various tool boxes and menus hide anything. I really dislike that. Couldn't see anything in preferences to fix that. Is that the only way it works?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sam Posten said:
It's been a while since I've used Pixelmator, can you make it full screen and get what you want?
Ah Ha! That was it. Now it looks like the desktop I'm familiar with. Thank you.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How accessible is it? Is it mom safe? Or does it require a photoshop-level investment to use. I used v1 and it was not intuitive to me. But it could have gotten simpler features since then.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's a hard question to answer. It's harder than Excel and easier than full blown photoshop. It's a $16 gamble. Is she artsy? II know you said she is not tech literate but that might take some of the sting out.

It's like saying "how hard is it to learn to draw?" For some people pick up a pencil and go. For me, a lifetime of miserable failure.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
That's a hard question to answer. It's harder than Excel and easier than full blown photoshop. It's a $16 gamble. Is she artsy? II know you said she is not tech literate but that might take some of the sting out.

It's like saying "how hard is it to learn to draw?" For some people pick up a pencil and go. For me, a lifetime of miserable failure.
$30 gamble :)

I emailed my mom the links to Pixelmator and Acorn. I'm not sure what her interests or needs are on this. On Windows, I think she'd be well off with Paint.net or whatever shovelware photo editing comes on a Windows machine these days.

I still wish there was a Paint.net equivalent on the Mac. Even Pixelmator is overkill for my needs -- and is too complicated for quick tweaks to pixel graphics.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ok, now I’ve read elsewhere it’s happening. Of course it will come with the Adobe price tag and subscription model (I’m assuming). The high price puts it out of reach for me. It they wanted $20 subscription-wise, I could handle that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks