What's new

Pioneer VSX 49TX (1 Viewer)

JerryLang

Agent
I bid on this unit on E-Bay and lost. A few days later I received an E mail stating the seller could get me another 49TX at a great price. He claims it would have full warranty, and he would like the money "wired". What do you think? Does this sound like a safe transaction?

DanielSmi

Second Unit
How much is he asking, you might be able to get it cheaper somewhere else? What kind o history does he have, has he sold a lot o hegh end of does normally sell cheap things like souveniers or books? If he wants more than 2500 I wouldn't go with him you can easliy get one cheaper online. If I were you I'd wait till the 49TXi come out in about 3-4 weeks? Personally I would be very cautious being something that expensive through eBay but that's just me.

Daniel Smith

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Any time you receive an unsolicited email from an ebay user offering you a product at an amazing price, you should be very careful. If they ever ask for the money to be wired (western union type thing), you shold turn and run. Wiring money gives you absolutely no method of recourse if he takes your $$ and never sends you anything. If he won't at least go through paypal (where you can always request a payment reversal and open an investigation) then it sounds very sketchy to me. Also, any source that could get you a Pioneer Elite product WITH waranty would be a certified Pioneer Elite dealer who would NEVER ask you to wire them payment.

This deal sounds fishy, i'd stay away.

Rodon

Second Unit
I emailed a seller about a deal like this on a Denon 5803 from Ebay. He wanted me to wire the money to spain or smewhere, I could use any name I wanted, It sounded real hokey to me. Something about he worked at a place that made them or something and he could get them cheap all day long.

My advice - if it sounds tooo good to be true - it probably is. Be very careful.

JerryLang

Agent
The "wired" money bothered me too. I was also bothered by the fact I could not find any feedback under his name. Of course he could have a E-Bay name, but I could not verify anything about him. Cost was $2000.00 Inc shipping. Thanks for your feedback. I'll write him with more questions, but I think I'll pass. THANKS

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
That sounds really bad. If it's a new unit, that's far under dealer cost (I think cost is like 2100.) Since the seller has multiple units, they are either hot or he's just a scam artist.

JohnDW

Agent
tHIS is most certainly a rip off, another example how caveat emptor (with a capital c and e) must prevail for any purchases on ebay-

ebay has no eefctive system for policing these scam artists, so your on your own - tehy constantly rappear under new email addresses and send in phony positive replies fro alleged past customers (again, something ebay maes no effort to police)

Buy on a credit card or escrow or good luck

NB - even with more legit sounding auctions, ebay insy=uance coves only up to $500- what does that tell you about their confidence in their systems screening of sellers ???!

Kevin Crays

Agent
I'm not sure which person you're dealing with. There was one on there last week (I think from chicago) that had one or more units. The buy it now price was 1900.00...add whatever shipping and you come up with something close to your price.

Now through my questioning this is what I found. The units were new in box. Supposedly sealed with warranty card. But there was no receipt.

This person had/has a very good rating on ebay...hundreds of positives, 1 or 2 neutrals and 1 negative.

That said, I didn't buy it. It was tempting but I ultimately decided I can put off upgrading. Besides, I really want a Nikon 4000ed Scanner....and that's gonna set me back 1500.

Kevin

DanielSmi

Second Unit
See you shouldn't be able to get one that cheap if wholesale price is $2100 or thereabout there's no way you can make any sort of money for $1900 that means somethings fishy. Either it's stolen or maybe it's refurbished. It's not new in box with warranty, even if they HAD to get rid off it you could sell them for more than that used.

Daniel Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks