What's new

Need rear surround speaker suggestions for Pioneer SC-07 (1 Viewer)

Nivek

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hello,
This is my first post to the Home Theater Forum.

Background: I just purchased a Pioneer SC-07 to replace my VSX-49TX, which had 2 bad DSP control panels (I was quoted over $700 for the repair). I don't listen to much music on system, I mainly use it for the home theater; DVDs & broadcast.

Other Equipment: Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD projection monitor, Pioneer Elite DV-38A DVD player.

Speakers: Design Acoustics PS10a main speakers, using the tv's speakers as the center, an AudioSource SW10 powered subwoofer & Advent Mini-Advent speakers in the rear.

My family room is carpeted & approximately 14'x18'x8'.

Even though the old receiver supported it, I never purchased the additional two speakers needed to use as true "rears" in a 7.1 configuration. Since I've got to re-hook up everything to the new receiver, I was thinking about adding them but don't know where to start.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'd start from scratch. If you can find a center and rears/backs to match the Desighn Acoustics then that's O.K otherwise I'd sell all four and buy a 5 or 7 piece set. And just because you have 7 speaker outputs doesn't mean 7 speakers will sound much better than 5. 5 timbre matched speakers should sound a lot better than 7 mixed-matched one's.

All speakers really should be from the same series of the same manufacturer or the sound will vary too much from speaker to speaker. Since you already have 3 different speaker brands one more can't hurt too much so if you really want to add two more to what you have just take $50 to Best Buy or Fry's and get what you can. It really won't make much difference.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :eek:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
O.K, so I feel really, really badly about the way I resonded to the original post. It was rude, demeanning and condecending. But as the saying goes, "sometimes the truth hurts". His system really is a mess and adding two more speakers isn't going to help much.

Maybe someone else here can respond in a friendlier fashion so Kevin doesn't think we're all jerks. Just me
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Nivek

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin

Ah, an apology with another slap at the end, nice. ;)

Gene, seriously -thanks, at least you responded.

My feelings aren't hurt & my system isn't "really a mess", I have mismatched speakers... & I've also been known to wear white after labor day.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

When I bought my current Pioneer Elite system in December of 2001 it was top of the line (other than the speakers). I did a lot of research prior to my decision & had the help of the gentleman who set up all of the A/V for multi-million dollar projects at the exhibit company for which I worked at the time. He was the one who, after looking at the specs of the aforementioned speakers (that I had from my 1st home theater set-up), said they would work fine. Maybe he was incorrect, but I was thankful for his help.

After my receiver recently failed I wanted to stick with the Elite line as I was really happy with the first. My DVD & TV are working just fine so I don't want to replace them at this time (finances -not drowning but not spending anything that I don't have to). I keep the 620HD calibrated & haven't seen anything that looks as good in todays offerings (Not good enough to make me reach for my checkbook anyway).

Okay, on to the present. You suggest matched speakers, any constructive advice? Suggestions on brands to look for, or those to avoid (I know, BOSE)? What should I be looking for in a speaker, what's important vs. what's hype. That's what I was hoping for when posting to these forums -I can go to any store to have the sales guy tell me my stuff is junk & that I need his $5000 offering.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As a general rule, spend much more on speakers than the AVR. If you have a $1000 receiver, get $4500 speakers. For the speakers, spend the most on the Subwoofer, as it is the most difficult to get right.

Also, the difference between a $1000 AVR and a $400 is not as much as you may think. In some cases, the cheaper one may be better (paying more for a particular brand, for example).

I agree with Gene, the best thing to do is start over, if you can. Otherwise, start with a matching center (matched to your existing L/R).

If you are wanting to start from scratch, what is your budget? We can recommend some brands to get you started at your price, but then it is up to your to listen. And, no, you don't need $5000 for a great sounding system....

Nivek

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hi Dave, thanks for your input.

As I allude to in the last paragraph of my last post, I agree with Gene too. I'm willing to replace my 15 year old speakers -they've served their time.

As for budget, well... that's one of the things for which I am looking for guidance. What would you suggest as a moderate figure? I haven't looked at speakers in 15 years. I don't want to go crazy, but if I'm going to make the investment I'd like to get something decent. From your post, you suggest that since I spent about $1000 on the receiver I should spend about $4500 on the speakers. Your last line states "And, no, you don't need $5000 for a great sounding system...." So I assume that the range you are suggesting is between $4500-$5000.

From Gene I've learned that I should be looking for a matched set. Should this set include all of the speakers including the sub?

Going back to my last post, what I'm asking for help with is "Suggestions on brands to look for, or those to avoid (I know, BOSE)? What should I be looking for in a speaker, what's important vs. what's hype."

Thanks,
Kevin

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The fact that you don't need to spend $5K on speakers does not mean you cannot get a great value if you do choose to. I could easily spend $10K and be very happy
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Go to your local higher end store and listen. Check out brands like B&W, Kliscpch, Paradigm and others. Look at online brands like Axiom and SVS. It is really up to you - only you know what you like.

For the subwoofer, check out SVS. Unlike other speakers, you can tell a great deal about how a sub will sound from the specs. SVS makes very good subs for a very good price.

Nivek

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Thanks David.
I'm looking forward to this process. It'll be interesting to see how much better everything sounds with a fresh set of matched speakers.

One thing I'm still not clear about, should I get all of the speakers including the subwoofer "matched"/same brand.

Thanks again, to both of you, for all the help. I do appreciate it.

Kevin

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Kevin,

The important thing is getting the front 3 matched. It helps to keep the surrounds matched as well, but not as important.

The subwoofer can be from anyone. In fact, most companies that make great speakers do not make great subs. That's one of the reasons SVS and HSU are so popular.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Glad to see you took it so well. I deserved much worse.

Anyway, since you are using them mostly for movies and tv I'd look for a good center channel and a good subwoofer. The SVS speaker packages are a popular choice as Is HSU. Personally, I have a Swan Diva speakers, like these, in one room and Infinity Beta's in another. You can almost always get more for your money with speakers on-line than in a store but you should listen to as many speakers as you can to get an idea of what you like.

On the less expensive end of the scale I like Energy's, like the C-500, C-50 and the c-100 and C-100 center which is getting hard to find. Also the Infinity Primus series and elemental Designs (Elemental Designs. Other great places to look for speakers (and other stuff) are Vanns, OneCall, Accessories4less, and Saturday Audio.

For a little more money look at Aperion.com Ascendacoustics.com and Axiom.com

From more traditional retail outlets: Polk LSi's, Paradigm, B&W, PSB, the list goes on. But these are the one's I like. You may not like them.

For cables, wires and supplies there's HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!, Parts-Express.com - Speakers, Speaker Building, Home Audio and Video, Pro Audio, Electronic Parts & Accessories PARTS EXPRESS, Speakers, Speaker Parts, Guitar speakers, Bass speakers, Woofers, Drivers, speaker upgrades and replacement speakers. Emine and Blue Jeans Cable -- Broadcast-Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices.

As was already mentioned, you don't need to get the same brand sub. SVS, HSU and ED get the most ink here. Dayton from Partsexpress.com are good value but don't perform as well as the others.

This, along with what David suggested, should get you started. And thanks for not throwing me under the bus!

Nivek

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Wow Gene,

Great stuff! I'm like a kid in a candy store I tells you!

It'll take me some time to digest all the information but I'll enjoy every minute. With all the tips I received here from you & David, I feel like I've at least got a framework, a game plan. Hope to visit a few of our local higher end stores tomorrow to start listening & learning. I'll use the info you've provided as research before I leave.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Richard Slaten

Auditioning
Kevin,
I just now posted a Left, Right, and Center chanel Paradigm Studio 60v2 system. This may be just what you are looking for and do not have to spend $3000 on front speakers. Also have Klipsch SS1 surround speakers and a Pioneer Elite TSX-45-TX for sale. The whole story was just posted as to why I am selling this system. If you have any interest, or want to ask the forum about the products above, please do so and feel free to contact me before I put them on Ebay.

Good Luck,

Richard

LD9000

Auditioning
Well -- let me say this. You have an awesome receiver. So let's assume that you only need rear speakers, and you're looking for some " bang for the buck ".

I would recommend the Micro series from Boston Acoustics. Small enough to be unobtrusive, but powerful enough to complement your system.

Either the Micro 120s or the Micro 110s if you can find them ...... check them out.

Good luck.

Nivek

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Richard: Life pulled me away from home theater concerns for a while so I missed the boat on your offer -but thanks anyway.
LD9000: Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out as I go through all of Gene's as well now that I've put other fires out & can get back to fun things. As for the receiver, I've really been enjoying it & it sounds great!

Hortona22

Auditioning
Real Name
Al Hortona
What is your opinion of the Design Acoustic PS-10a Speaker system? I like the fact they were made in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks