What's new

Pioneer VSX-D711 Home Theater Amp Error ... Can it be fixed? (1 Viewer)

spirittoo

Auditioning
Real Name
Deborah
Hello all ... I have an old Pioneer VSX D711 I keep getting amp errors even after unplugging it for more than 24 hours to reset it. The unit may work for a time after resetting but eventually shuts down with the error. Is there a way to find out what the bad part is and replace it? I don't need it, but I would like to see if I can repair it. The unit is nice when it works.
Is there anyone out here that likes to restore units like this that would know what part is needed and where to get it? Thanks so much for reading my post and happy holidays to you!:rock:
:dance:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's really not worth fixing, if it was even possible to fix, which it most likely isn't.

spirittoo

Auditioning
Real Name
Deborah
It's not really about it being worth fixing ... it's about having fun fixing it. Haven't you see any of those youtube videos where guys take old electronic stuff and restore it? That is what this is about. They figure out what the problem is get the part(s) ... I don't know where or how ... and get it going again. I'd like to do that with this unit.

JWalla

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I would try the following things:
1. Check to ensure that the speaker connections are clean and solid on both the amp and the speaker itself.
2. Used dry air or compressed gas to blow out all dust and ensure that the vents are clear of obstructions. Nothing should be 'stored' on top of this R/A.
3. Separate the AMP chip from the heat sink after removing the mounting hardware and reapply heat sink compound the reattach the amp to the heat sink.
4. Brush all solder connections with a stainless ESD brush to ensure that no corrosion or 'tin whiskers' are present and creating a problem.

All the best!
James

spirittoo

Auditioning
Real Name
Deborah
Thank you for your post. I will try it. I was wondering if you saw the service manual would you be able to point out the section of the amp that has the safety components so I know what to focus on?

VSX-D711 Service Manual

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks