What's new

Pioneer LD-S2 (1 Viewer)

Albert Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Noel
is it possible to modify the Pioneer LD-S2 to be able to output ac-3? basically, could a person ad a functional AC-3 RF output? would it sound as good as a factory installed ac-3 RF out? can it still use the original digital out as well as the original analogue outs?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Albert, I've seen a modifed LD-S2. I don't think it's much harder to modify than most other Pioneer players. Having an AC-3 output in no way affects your other digital output/s. You'll just have one more output on your player's back panel. They made S2's from '87 till '97. I know towards the end you could order one with AC-3. I'm confident that an AC-3 output is an AC-3 output and it doesn't matter if it's factory or custom installed. Best wishes from Laserland!

Albert Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Noel
well, thats great to hear!
i've found one for a killer price and i would only want to buy it if it can eventually have AC-3.

thanks for your reply!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Albert, the LD-S2 is especially good at reproducing PCM. If your pair it with a good head unit you can use it's DA's for PCM. The Marantz AV9000 or it's reciever near equivalent, I can't remember it's model #, are great with LD players. The AV9000 doesn't digitize the analog inputs, has an AC-3 demodulator on board, has automatic priority LD audio switching in this order: AC-3 > PCM > analog. If it wasn't for the 20 or so DTS LD's I own, for which I need my coaxial output for, I'd just disconnect it from my AV9000.
Well, anyway, the S2's PCM will be better on some AC-3 LD's. Yes-way, especially with a player as good as the S2. I'd site STAR WARS, THE FLY (1957), GONE WITH THE WIND AC-3 remix, and THE TEN COMMANDMENTS as good examples. However, the AC-3 mixes of some of the more recent films are outstanding. Films like COURAGE UNDER FIRE and STIR WARS PHANTOM MENACE really are great on LD, newer stuff, designed for 5.1 . Don't underestimate PCM especially with that player. Besides, PCM comes up more often than AC-3 on LD's. SWPM sounds darn good in PCM. It doesn't have as much directionality in the effects as the AC-3, but it's no slouch!
I'd be inclined to add AC-3 too if I bought an S2. I'd have somebody good do it on such a nice player. It's my understanding it's in the upper half of difficulty as far as Pioneer players go, but that's not saying anything too terribly bad. Best wishes! :)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The S2 is weird. Is that player as good or better than the 99 in terms of video?

GregClarke

Stunt Coordinator
Albert, please let me know if you don't purchase it as I would be interested.

Thanks
Greg

Albert Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Noel
Chris

i think it's supposed to be pretty good.
it's from 1990, so i'm not too sure how nice the older models were in terms of picture quality. having never seen the image of a 99 i wouldn't know. (can you email me again? i have a Q for you)

Greg

i'm pretty well set on getting it, but if by chance i don't i'll let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks