What's new

Pioneer elite VSX-74TXVi - looks good but doesn't upscale (options?) (1 Viewer)

I'm currently eyeing the pioneer elite 74, and it has most all of the input/output options I want (no dvi, but I can work around it). I really like the upconversion to hdmi, and I plan on pushing most of my video to my projector through that. What it can't do though is upscale and neither does my planned projector (sanyo plv-z4). There will probably be some 480i used in my setup (older/current gen videogames, non-hd television), so I wasn't sure how badly that stuff would be like in my setup.

So my question is - is there a comparable receiver (both similar specs and price) that can upscale to a high-def resolution, or is there an affordable (in the low hundreds) external scaler that would take care of my 480i needs?

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
What's your budget? If you really want a scaler, you probably are better off buying a DVD player with built in scaler, as it will be most cost effective. Most receivers with scalers built in works only with analog signal, and leave HDMI digital signal untouched. I don't know many external scalers, but I know that they are pretty expensive, and like the receiver based scalers, only work with analog signal. I would think that HDCP in HDMI prevents any tempering with the video signal, including the scaling.

Many budget DVD players employ the same Faroudja chipsets used in the expensive scalers. That's probably the most economical way to get upscaled video. Pioneer uses their proprietary technology in their 59 and 79 models. From what I hear the image quality is superb, althrough the recent report from secrets of HT shows Pioneer 79 failed a lot of their tests.

Robert Ham

Agent
Yamaha RX-V2600 will upscale to HDMI at 1080I. I use it all the time with my Tohisba 62MX195 1080P HDTV set. Super picture quality and sound! System has been up now for about one month, no issues!

MikeNg

Second Unit
Denon will also upscale the HDMI output and has HDMI switching. That might be an option for you. Ideally you route all of your video connections directly to your projector if possible. The internal scalers in AVR's I've found, do a so-so job.

Outboard scalers can be had in the low hundreds, but they are more about convenience (unifying sources to one connection) than about clean, artifact-free scaling. Viewsonic makes a series of low-cost video processors that I've applied in a church multi-purpose room that has a projection system in it. Works fine for what it is, makes things easier to use overall, and the picture overall is improved (all standard def images are upscaled to 1024X768; the native resolution of the projector), but I would not use it in my home theater.
ViewSonic Video Processor

If you are at all critical about the image, I would look at the DVDO Iscan as a possibility, but it runs for as much as a nice AVR.

http://www.dvdo.com/partner/projectorcentral.html

Getting an Oppo Digital DVD player is a good option for upscaling DVD sources. I've used that for a while and really enjoyed the picture. Also highly benchmarked at Secrets of the Home Theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks