What's new

Pioneer Elite DV-47A $799 at J&R Music World (?). (1 Viewer)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
It'll definitely be a personal preference type of thing, Lewis. Some might prefer that type of sound as warmer and smoother
Oh I agree,[ don't let my signature fool you;)] my first reaction was that too that it was "warmer",but then on certain recordings it sounded less "airy",so go figure.
Nevertheless the "roll off" is there no matter waht you call it.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
You might be interested in some comments made by a german hi-fi mag, and hifi-choice mag which I posted previously. Users on AVS forum with this player have suggested that the audio is very good, but not as good as a high-end player (like Sony's ES single-disc SACD players). DVD-A is reputedly better than SACD playback- i'm still waiting for it to come out in Australia so I can have a listen :). The links are below:
Audio Asylum- hifichoice
AVS forum- german audio mag reviews

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Stan,

I think all DVD-Audio players will start playing discs when you close the drawer, so in that respect, you don't need a TV. However, is it easy to change between the stereo and surround-sound DVD-Audio tracks on the '38A without the TV (i.e., without on-screen menus)? In other words, can you switch between the tracks via the remote? I can do that with my Technics DVD-A10.

David,

Thanks for the information. The smoothed out sound of the '47A will undoubtedly be preferred by some, though I definitely see your point about crossing over the line from a warm sound to a loss of detail. We all have different preferences, hence, my unfavorable views of the 'A10 as a CD player.

By the way, the Brubeck Telarc SACD is called The 40th Anniversary Tour of the U.K.. I don't have this disc, but I want to get it. I love Time Out on SACD.

Lewis,

As I said to David, we all have different preferences. We interpret sound differently too. I have a Pioneer Elite PD-65, and while it is an excellent player, I feel the Sony SCD-C333ES that I have in the same system is a bit smoother in the treble with CDs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee said:
Don't go over to the dark side - get the XA777ES for multi-channel and stay Super Audio!
Too late. I've had a Technics DVD-A10 for DVD-Audio since February 2001. However, I also have the Sony SCD-C555ES for multi-channel SACD. I bought it last October. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks