Pioneer Elite DV-47A $799 at J&R Music World (?).

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Mar 2, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

An individual claimed on the Hi-Rez Highway board on Audio Asylum to have pre-ordered the Pioneer Elite DV-47A from J&R Music World for $799. Great price from an authorized dealer, if true.

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

That is a good price--not much more than I can get it for on accomodation.

Incidently, we got one in and I messed around with it briefly. It was a bit lighter than I expected it to be, but it performed well with Red Book playback. I haven't had a chance to try DVD-A or SACD yet. I'll have to move the Sony 555 into the same room and do some comparisons.

DJ

3. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Let us know what the image quality is like, and if it has the Chroma Bug bad..

Thx,

-- John

4. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

You can get it from Soundpros.com for $750.00 total with shipping included. I get all my Elite equipment from them. They pick it up from Pioneer in Long Beach, CA. They are located in San Diego, Ca. Scott & Gary are great to work with.

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I'd bet i could get J&R to move to $750.00 without any hassle (authorized).

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip,

I wonder if J&R would drop down to $750 since Sound Pros is not an authorized dealer. For the extra $50, I'd go through J&R. They would take the player back for a full refund (except return shipping) within 30 days if I found the performance to be poor. Few mail-order dealers offer that.

David,

Thanks for the info. Although weight doesn't always tell the story, I would expect an Elite component at $1200 retail to show first-rate build quality. In my opinion, some Elite components are excellent in terms of build quality and performance (e.g., CLD-99, PD-65, DV-09), but others appear more like their mass-market gear just dressed up on the outside (e.g., MJ-17D, DV-C36). Just my opinion.

If you do get to compare CD and SACD playback to the 'C555ES, please do post your thoughts. What type of equipment would be connecting them to?

7. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"Chip,
    I wonder if J&R would drop down to $750 since Sound Pros is not an authorized dealer."
    Keith,
    I'd bet almost anything they would. I can't buy it right now so, would you do me a favor and pick one up and give it a whirl? lol. Com'on, i know you want one [​IMG]

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, I just know you are waiting to strike a deal on the '47A through Tweeter. [​IMG]
    Yeah, I should definitely pick one up. I need a fourth SACD player in the house. Actually, things are off-kilter in my house. I have two stereo SACD players, but only one multi-channel player. I need the '47A to restore equilibrium. Wait a minute. The 'XA777ES would do the trick! [​IMG]
    In all seriousness, I am eager to hear what people think of the '47A as a DVD-Audio player. Specifically, I am wondering how it compares to my Technics DVD-A10. I'll take comparisons to the 'RP91 and extrapolate, as I figure the 'A10 and 'RP91 are similar sonically. In any event, if the '47A garners positive reviews as a DVD-Audio player, and if the release rate of new titles is ramped up to any degree, I would consider the upgrade. I'd move the 'A10 to my second stereo system. For the past couple of months, I've toyed with the idea of getting the Panasonic DVD-RA60 DVD-Audio player for the second stereo system, but I would like to see where DVD-Audio is going this year before buying a second player. Besides, rather than buying a budget player for the second system, I would rather wait it out and give myself the option of upgrading from the 'A10 in the main system.
    One thing I would like to know with the '47A is whether it is easy to play DVD-Audio discs without the TV on. I never need to have the TV on with the 'A10, as the user interface is very straightforward. It's been said on this site by some that the user interface on Toshiba DVD-Audio players is cumbersome, so I'd like to see where the '47A comes in. I have no idea how the Elite DV-38A operates in that regard. Finally, I considered replacing the 'A10 with the Toshiba SD-9200 when the price dropped, but the user interface issue and the fact that it is an older model killed my enthusiasm.

9. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"Finally, I considered replacing the 'A10 with the Toshiba SD-9200 when the price dropped, but the user interface issue and the fact that it is an older model killed my enthusiasm."
    Yea, i know what you mean.. that's why the DV-47A is so interesting. [​IMG]
    Wait it out for a while. If it's a worthy piece, i'd do the same thing.. move something to the other room and pick it up! We'll see..

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, yeah, I'll wait awhile for reviews on the '47A. I have to tell you that although I have quality dedicated SACD and DVD-Audio players in my main systems right now, the idea of one component to do it all is killer. Unfortunately, I don't see the '47A as a real replacement piece though. While it could very well outperform my 'A10, I don't seeing it beating out the 'C555ES or '777ES, especially the '777ES.

11. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

For all of all you who are interested, I suggest that you go to J&R's site and see if you can even find the DV-47A. I've purchased from them in the past and when they have a new product available, it's always been listed on their site as a pre-order. The DV-47A is not listed at all.

It also might be noted that although J&R is an authorized Pioneer dealer, they are not an autorized "Elite" dealer and as such do not carry any of the Pioneer Elite products.

What someone says on the A.A. Hi-Rez site should always be taken with a grain of salt.

12. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

I am also considering this DVD player. However, according to smr-home-theatre.org CES coverage Pioneer has not addressed the chroma bug and it has no bass management.[​IMG]

13. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

I just got off the phone with both One Call and J&R. I was informed by J&R that they are an Elite dealer, just that they cannot sell Elite products via mail order which is why the DV-47A is not on their website. You must vist their store. Same with One Call.

14. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

I was just at my local Tweeter and they said they would be receiving units on March 8. They will be retailing the unit for $999.99.
    I am considering this unit as an audio-only player so like Keith, I'd like to know how well it does without being plugged into a display. I might even consider disconnecting the video circuitry as a mod. The reviews that I've seen so far are mixed so I'm not sure if I should get it or the Sony SCD-555ES. I would rather have the flexibility of having DVD-A over the carousel but if the Sony unit has much better sound quality, I would probably want the Sony.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel,

As I said in an earlier post, I have always heard that Pioneer does not authorize mail-order sales, so I would not expect to see the '47A for sale on OneCall's or J&R's web sites. Now, they may have changed their policy to allow certain to sell by mail, such as J&R, but I am sure Pioneer does not authorized Internet sales.

Ron,

The word that Pioneer has done nothing about the chroma bug is very disappointing. With the competition using state-of-the-art video chipsets, I can't understand why Pioneer would sit back and make the same mistake time and again, especially in designing a player that could easily set them apart from the competition. Likewise, I can't understand why they would leave out bass management.

Dzung,

All the DVD-Audio and SACD/DVD players I have come across allow you shut off the video circuitry when listening to audio discs. So, you shouldn't have to clip wires in the '47A.

16. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

KeithH I have the Elite DV-38A & it's very easy to use playing DVD-audio discs. You don't to have the T.V. on to play DVD-audio. The player will recognize what type disc you are playing & it will start playing it automatically. I'm sure the DV-47A will be easy to use in that respect also. The DV-38A is an excellent DVD-audio player and from what I have read the DV-47A is great with DVD-audio & SACD.

As far as Soundpros.com goes I know the people that run it very well. Their company is located in San Diego. They pick the Pioneer equipment up from Pioneer in Long Beach themselves. When I first started dealing with them last year they told me that Pioneer would honor the warranty when purchasing from them. They have a very good working relationship with Pioneer since they deal with them face to face.

Their prices are hard to beat & the service is excellent. Scott & Gary will take care of you.

17. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

[​IMG] Looks like Soundpros will get my business!

18. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I had a chance to do some comparisons today with CD and SACD--I didn't have time to compare DVD-A or video. I couldn't get the 555ES, but I did get a 222ES, and a Technics DVD-A10.
    Equipment used was an Adcom GFP-710 pre-amp, Adcom GFA 5400 amp(125 X 2), and Martin Logan Ascent speakers. Interconnects used were Monster Reference 2.
    For CD comparisons I used Sting's Nothing Like the Sun and Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth. The SACD was a Telarc disc of Dave Brubek whose title escapes me at the moment.
    Listening to the above CDs, I noticed the Sony and the Technics sounded sharper and crisper, especially with cymbals. It was very subtle, but it almost sounded as if the Pioneer was rolling the treble off a bit. I doubt that all but the very critical of listeners would notice, because the overall performance was good with all of the players, IMO(we'll have to agree to disagree, Keith, about the DVD-A10 as a CD player[​IMG]).
    With SACD, I could not tell the difference between the Sony and the Pioneer. They were both excellent to my ears.
    I'll try some DVD-A when I get a chance and sling the 47A over to the Sharp DLP or Pioneer Pro 720 RPTV for some video comparisons later in the week.
    All in all, from the limited listening I did(CD & SACD), the Pioneer looks to be a good player for the money, but the lack of bass management and the Chroma issue will be a deal breaker for some, I know.
    I also look foward to some in depth reviews from the usual suspects, which I'm sure will be coming soon.
    DJ

19. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

20. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

It'll definitely be a personal preference type of thing, Lewis. Some might prefer that type of sound as warmer and smoother.
    I consider it a loss of detail, but I'm used to Yamaha and B&W. [​IMG]
    To each his own, I suppose.
    DJ