What's new

PINNACLE'S Baby Boom Sub - Hype or bust? (1 Viewer)

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone had a chance to audition Pinnacle's baby boom subwoofer or the Subsonic? They're both less < 10" cube.
Home Theater Review recently gave the Subsonic sub a score of 95 in their 7/02 issue. Is it really this good or just more hype?
Im really tired of thumpy-boomy loose subs.
And please don't tell me about $1,000 subs like Sunfire or Velo SPL's cause most people can't afford these guys.
And who really want's a cylinder-trash can-looking sub sitting in your living room like the SVS anyways????

Please help if you can!!

ben_fowler

Grip
I listened to it briefly with a friend recently. It's impressive considering it's size. Outside the boomer, there are a number of great sounding "tiny" or small subs out there.

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
Would you mind listing some of those subs Ben? Tight and fast, no thumpy and boomy please!
Thanks

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
David I am in no way being sarcastic. I read your thread and I just howled. You say what you feel, no bones about it. Good Luck in your quest for that illusive sub.:emoji_thumbsup:

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
David, Hoffman's Iron Law is going to make your quest very very difficult.

Take these three aspects of a subs capabilities/design. Extension, efficiency and enclosure size. You can pick any two and the third one will be dictated to you. If you want small and to still have the extension required of todays subs at decent levels, then efficiency will go down the toilet. The result being you need an extremely long throw driver that can handle huge amounts of power and an amp that can dish out that power, neither of which are cheap. You can't get asmall sub in the sub $1000 price bracket that is worth anything. Especially not a in a 10" cube.

The cheapest I can think of is building an Adire Tumult. 16" cube with a Linkwitz Transform and a 1.5kW amp. And that will end up costing you just over $1000 by the time you have it finished.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
So that leaves you with the choice of a Velo, Sunfire or the big can?:D Whats it going to be? Step up to the plate and open your wallet..;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks