What's new

Pink Floyd The Wall - what's best sounding CD? (4 Viewers)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Hmmm.......how can you tell which Columbia version you have? Mine has the bricks design on the double-jewel case and cds, and it says copyright Pink Floyd 1979 and 1997 on it. It would seem this is NOT the 1999 release, yet I hear no audible popping at the beginning of Comfortably Numb. Incidentally, what do you guys think of the sound on The Wall DVD?

-Tom

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tom,

If I remember correctly, Capitol took over the rights to certain Pink Floyd albums including The Wall in '99 and re-released the albums on their label. I have read that the '97 Columbia and '99 Capitol releases sound identical. I guess Capitol merely repackaged the '97 Columbia release.

MikeAW,

I have seen the Japanese mini-LP releases of Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Relics at Tower Records, but I won't pay $40 for them. I don't care how good they sound. $40 is ridiculous for one CD.

MikeAW

Second Unit
Keith, to me 18.99 is a ridiculous price for a CD, but I do it...sometimes...and these mini-lp's were just sitting there, minding their own business...and I couldn't help myself ! I drew "the line" at "Relics".

Just like last week when I picked up the Free mini's ! And it's worth it...the sound is incredible and the presentation special ! The week before that it was Jethro Tull...and before that the Yes mini's.

And don't tell me you haven't done the same thing, at some time in your music buying life, please !

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I have never spent $40 for a single in-print CD, even an import. I have spent more than that on a handful of out-of-print MFSL CDs. Also, I never spend $18.99 for one domestic CD. If it's $18.99 at Sam Goody, Tower, Borders, or Barnes & Noble, then it's going to be $13.99 at Best Buy and Circuit City. Mall stores like Sam Goody think $16.99 is a sale price. :rolleyes

MikeAW

Second Unit
Keith, don't get me wrong...I don't like to throw my money away...but I don't like to push The Gods and break the First Rule of Music Collecting...

"If you sees it, buys it now, because you won't or may not sees it again!!!"

First Book of Music Collecting...Bleecker Bob 1:1:1

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Keith, don't get me wrong...I don't like to throw my money away...but I don't like to push The Gods and break the First Rule of Music Collecting...
Very very true.
I had in my hands a few years ago an unopened new MOFI of Who's Next and hesitated because in 2 days Tower was having a Big Sale and I could save a few bucks off the price.
It was gone when I returned, never to be seen again. Now its worth $150! Ouch!
Oh well, at least I have my Canadian Steve Hoffman copy, my Japanese mini-lp copy and my MCA Remastered with Bonus Cuts copy.
JohnG:)

RicP

Screenwriter
Personally...I leave the TV off & put The Wall DVD on
Good idea! But not quite exactly the same experience. :)
I'm juiced that they put "When the tigers broke free" on Echoes! I was holding on to an old PF Bootleg just for that song...now I can trash it because the rest of it was pretty awful.

MikeAW

Second Unit
I have an official 33 rpm, seven inch, gatefold of rare "Wall" selections, along with an excellent quality 1CD boot of the Roger Waters demos for the entire presentation...

which is AWESOME, considering they are demos, but with a finished sound...a 3CD box of "Wall" live, and other bits and pieces.

The Roger Waters demos are fascinating in comparing the demo blueprints with the album...highly recommended, seek this one out !

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
If anyone is interested in picking up a brand new copy of the MFSL version of The Wall sealed in the long box, www.elusivedisc.com has it for $300.
I picked up Echoes over the weekend. Excellent. In fact, I'm listening to "Money" on disc one as I type. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ric, I'm sure someone will buy it. There are obviously some big Pink Floyd collectors out there. For those types who want a rare Pink Floyd The Wall release (rare especially because it is mint) and the best version on CD, $300 will not be too much to spend.

I'm still glad I got my used copy back in 1993 for $35. Each disc has a minor scratch here and there, but the discs play flawlessly. Most importantly, they sound great.

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Please guys, is the recent version of Meddle by Capitol better then the MoFi release? I don't want to post a space wasting thread just about this.

RicP

Screenwriter
John, Unfortunately "better" is a subjective term, and what one person thinks is better, another may not.

However, I will tell you this...The recent remaster of Meddle is very very good albeit with less Dynamic range than the MoFi release. I don't think I'd pay more than absolute minimum for the MoFi release given the quality of the remaster.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The MoFi discs that continually get recommended are the first issue UltraDisc series that was pressed in Japan, not the later -- and poorer -- UltraDisc II versions pressed in the USA.
What exactly that means?

Pressing is essnetialy the manufacturing right?

How exactly that makes the difference if the source is the same?

But if not why bother to bring it up?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I have seen the Japanese mini-LP releases of Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Relics at Tower Records, but I won't pay $40 for them.
neither would I, but ironically HMV here in Singapore was recently offloading some of the "lesser" (i.e. less popular) Floyd albums of these mini-LP releases at S$40 for 2, i.e. about US$11 each. so to complete my (still incomplete) collection I got Obscured By Clouds, Meddle, the More soundtrack and Animals. :D

cwhite

Second Unit
I have a Japanese pressing of "Meddle" on the Harvest label, which was the 2nd CD I've bought after "Dark Side" and

I recall it sounded better than my domestic pressing of the same album. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the original Columbia editions of "The Wall" and I have seen the Columbia remasters and the MoFi editions. "The Wall" was never my favorite PF album and I'll wait for the SACD edition, if it ever comes!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The thing to keep in mind here is that just about every remastered standard issue Floyd disc since (and including) the "Shine On" box set in 1992 has been better mastered than 95% of the CDs out there. While I in no way seek to discourage the legion of Floyd trainspotters out there from arguing the subtleties of the various releases and advocating which they determine is the best, you will want to keep this in mind before considering dropping substantial sums of money on out of print editions.
Whichever version you buy, if it was done by Doug Sax, then you can be pretty confident that good tapes were used, that no egregious digital processing was performed, that no ridiculous eq moves were made, and that dynamic range will be acceptable to great.
In other words, differences are subtle. If these subtle differences are worth it to you, then it will be worth the money no question. If you are not sure, then you may not want to get into an ebay bidding war. :)
Regards,

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I bought Echoes the other day as an intro to Pink Floyd and did like it :frowning:. The only song that somewhat stirs me is "Time". The sore wouldn't let me exchange the CD so I am stuck with it now... I wanted to pick Dark Side Of the Moon instead, since its much cheaper ($9.99) and has "Time".
Oh well...
BTW, I don't mean to thread fart, please do not get offended. I am hoping you tell me how to listen to this CD's or something. Perhaps it's an acquired taste.
--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks