What's new

Pink Floyd - DSOTM on DVD-Audio 03/03/2003 (1 Viewer)

Walt O

Agent
Can someone who has heard both DVD Audio and SACD tell me about DVD Audio? I have heard why SACD is supposedly better than PCM, and after hearing it I believe that it is. To me, going only from memory, it has the realness of vinyl. I have only heard the Stranger album from Billy Joel on the format so far, but it sounds so much more real than the cd. Now, does DVD Audio have this characteristic as well, or is it just 5 channel PCM? If you do not have extensive listening experience with both formats, please do not reply; I don't need to hear that X is better because you paid for it (I can do that myself).

By the way, I have a DTS version of this sourced from a 70s discrete quad tape (privately done). The quality is bad because of the age and wear, but the mix is AMAZING! I hope the original mix for this release, or at least include it as an option.

Walt O

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
John, I was aware of the three titles you listed, but in my response to Lee' comment, I was specifically making a point about all EMI/Capitol releases being DVD-A only. The titles you list are indeed DVD-A only, but were released through EMI/Virgin which as Lee noted, has also released titles on SACD.:)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Micahel,

Lee's statement was that EMI was releasing all rock titles from Virgin on DVD-A and SACD. It's true of some but not all titles.

I'm not sure why the Al Green is on that list, it's from the Capitol catalog. Oh yeah, now I remember my train of thought: EMI titles on DVD-A without corresponding SACDs.

Hmmm.... weren't the classic Steely Dan titles on Capitol (Katy Lied, Royal Scam, AJA, Pretzel Logic, Can't Buy a Thrill, et al)? Gears grinding, gears grinding, gears grinding. It would be quite interesting to see these come out in a multi-channel High-Res format -- it hasn't been announced in the SD newsletters, as The Nightfly was, so time will tell if this project ever gets undertaken.

Regards,

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Hmmm.... weren't the classic Steely Dan titles on Capitol (Katy Lied, Royal Scam, AJA, Pretzel Logic, Can't Buy a Thrill, et al)?
No. They were originally on ABC Records (1st 3 also released on their Command Quadraphonic label), now on MCA, so they will probably be SACD. Hopefully, they will use the original quad mixes for the 1st 3--they were great mixes.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Can someone who has heard both DVD Audio and SACD tell me about DVD Audio? I have heard why SACD is supposedly better than PCM, and after hearing it I believe that it is. To me, going only from memory, it has the realness of vinyl. I have only heard the Stranger album from Billy Joel on the format so far, but it sounds so much more real than the cd. Now, does DVD Audio have this characteristic as well, or is it just 5 channel PCM? If you do not have extensive listening experience with both formats, please do not reply; I don't need to hear that X is better because you paid for it (I can do that myself).
I've paid for neither one, but I know that DVD-Audio takes PCM to the next level with a higher sample rate (up to 96K for multichannel, up to 192K for stereo) and more bits per sample (up to 24 bits). That may or may not be enough to have the same "realness of vinyl". I'm not going to say it's better than SACD, but I'm not going to say SACD is better either. Like I said, I've paid for neither so I can't be the judge.

I'd be satisfied with a CD-quality release of the quad DSOTM mix, but if it's going to be DVD-Audio then they might as well do it up right with 96K/24-bit.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Can someone who has heard both DVD Audio and SACD tell me about DVD Audio?
I have both in my system and at this point I still think DVDA can sound as good or better than SACD.
The really good DVDA's sound as good as the vinyl ever did plus you get the added bonus of Multi-Channel mix's if you like that kind of thing (I do).

I know the big selling point of SACD is it's realness to vinyl but I feel the same for many of the DVDA's I own.

Neil Young's Harvest is an example of an excellent Stereo mix DVDA. Sounds very life-like and real. Sonically blows away the cd version. I bet its better than the Vinyl version unless you have a mega-buck vinyl system (I don't).

IMHO DVDA is still a contender.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
03-03-03

That's funny cuz it will be my third format purchase for this, DSotM, title.
1. Vinyl: 7 releases purchased.
2. Cd: 4 releases purchased.
3. DVD-A: 1[?] release purchased!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks