What's new

Picture Glitches on HBOHD & Dish6000 (1 Viewer)

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Last night I had my first opportunity to sit down and watch something in HD other than the demo's in stores. My Dish6000 was installed yesterday,so I couldn't wait to sit down and view something in true HD. I tuned into HBO 9440 to watch the Sopranos. I'm not sure what you call this but about 2/3 of the way through the program I noticed, for lack of a better term, glitches or pixelation on screen. At first it was just for a moment, barely noticeable, then becoming more frequent, finally covering the entire screen. I also noticed that occasionally the sound seemed to not match the video. I switched to another channel, then back to HBO and it was gone. What is this and how how can I fix this problem? I hope this is not just inconsistencies in the broadcast of HD that I have to live with!
------------------

Gary Hensley

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry,
I just had my 6000/501 combo installed last Saturday and have noticed the same thing on HBO a few times. From what I have gathered it is a HBO problem and not a signal strength issue. I am getting 110+ signal strength on my system and have noticed dropouts like you described on several occasions. One thing I have noticed is that it never happens on the Demo HD channel from Dish. Haven't watched ShowtimeHD enough yet to see if it is also dropping out.
Gary

Mike I

Supporting Actor
This is not a problem with your equipment..Echostar is aware of the problem and working with HBO to get it fixed..They did not say specifically if it was an HBOHD problem or Echostar problem, but I was assured they are working on resolving the problem
------------------

CRyan

Screenwriter
Ok. I was hoping this was not my equipment. It seems like once in a while the picture will become a 3D mosaic of pixelation. Usually I can turn the channel and when I change back the picture is normal again. Wierd.
C. Ryan

Albert C

Agent
Are you folks talking about the same problem I have noticed on Dish HBOHD - the sound starts to break up, pixels start to appear, then the image turns to mosaic water sculptures?
I find it to be quite artsy!
But I am quite comforted that it is not my Dish 6000. Plus I noticed the Dish HD Demo channel doesn't have that problem.
BTW, they should put that demo sunrise scene on the beach on a separate channel by itself. I could just leave that one scene on all day!
Albert

I talked with someone of authority over at Echostar yesterday and yes they are still working on this. I switched over to Dish early in May, and pixellation/tiling that was going on was just horrible. I understand Dish replaced some equipment on their end that had failed that corrected the horrendous breakups that we were seeing.
There is still a problem outstanding that seems to be a transmission problem somewhere between HBO and Dish. Both companies are working closely together on finding and correcting the problem, and this is an extremely high priority for Dish.
I asked about the changing channels correcting the problem, and was told this makes sense. By changing channels, you reset the buffer in your equipment so going back to the channel resets everything.
Incidentally, I was told the current problem affects everyone, not just Dish. While DirecTV subscribers claim they haven't seen any problems at all, it's probably more due to the way their equipment handles errors and how quickly it resets the buffer.
It's not nearly as bad as it was last month, thank goodness! Hopefully the entire problem with be corrected shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks