What's new

Pic of upcoming Sony SCD-DR1 SACD/CD player (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Looks like a HT receiver, doesn't it?

Looks like only i.Link digital output is used for multi-channel playback. No release date yet, but mucho $$$.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
This is stupid. Hear me now and listen to me later: I am high enough on Sony's CD and SACD machines, that if they did an ES model with a street price near $1000, I would buy it without blinking. But something like this? Not bloody likely... ;)

Maybe I can hope there will be additional models.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
So the only analog outputs are only in 2ch and not Multichannel?! :confused:

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
if it performs as well as, or better than, their old SCD-1, i would consider it.

not having muti-channel is a bummer though. looks like there might be some sort of proprietary digital out though...

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
The price of the SACD-DR1, if it ever comes to the US, will be over US$11,000.00. Its price in Japan is over a million yen. You can see this player on the Japanese Sony website.

Must be Sony's statement SACD player....into TEAC/Esoteric territory.

As for amplification, Sony makes the matching TA-DR1 stereo integrated amp. 300 watts/channel into 4 ohms. Yes, it's a digital amp. Another US$10,000.

I wonder why no multi-channel amp??

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
While we're engaging in a hearty bout of Sony-knocking, why no balanced XLR output in analog L/R? The balanced SPDIF output is kool and all, but wouldn't a client who is in the market for one of these cuties also be pondering a balanced connection to his 2-channel esoteric preamp?

When looked at in the realm of 2-channel snobbery, the lack of multi-channel makes a certain kind of twisted sense.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
the sony looks NOTHING like the musical fidelity. it has a knob in the center, and that's where the similarities stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks