What's new

Pi: finally a movie to THINK about...What are some others? (1 Viewer)

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I realize this movie came out quite some time ago but I finally got around to seeing it. It's a low-budget Sundance type of film, black and white with some very grainy scenes.
In a current summer of terrible film scripts that are basically "dumbed down" to be commercial successes, at least this movie Pi allows us to use our brains to try and figure something out. I won't give away any spoilers that you can't find on the description on the box: Centers on a mathematical genius trying to figure out the mathematical code for the stock market,but goes way beyond that into philosophies about numerical patterns in everyday life. This was a refreshing change of pace that I'd like to see more of in the movies. What are your views on Pi, and what other movies can you recommend that allow you to get involved in figuring things out?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
If you're looking for entertaining yet cerebral material, look no further than the sleeper hit of this summer, Memento, recently out on DVD.
There are numerous threads on the film, some with spoilers, so you may want to watch frist before jumping into the discussion.
Plot synopsis can be found on rottentomatoes or IMDB, but in a nutshell, a man has a form of amnesia in which he can't form new short term memories. He can remember what happened years ago, but not 5 minutes ago. The movie flows chronologically out of order as he tries to piece together and find the man that killed his wife.
GREAT film!
[Edited last by James Nguyen on September 06, 2001 at 05:12 PM]

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Memento
The Game
Cube
Eraserhead (it's not on DVD yet, but definitely not an easy movie to understand upon first viewing.)

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
All of the above suggestions are well worth your time. I'll put in the third vote for Memento.
2001: A Space Odyssey, Jacob's Ladder, Brazil and Fight Club are four more movies that "make you go 'hmmmm.'"
I know there are many other films that challenge the viewer; I'll post some others when I get the chance.
(By the way, David, have you seen Darren Anofrosky's Pi follow-up, Requiem For A Dream? It's not a movie that has a head-spinning plot like Pi, but it is definitely one of the best films that came out last year.)
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)
[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on September 06, 2001 at 06:48 PM]

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator
This may be a bit extreme, but if you're into looking for meaning, try Begotten, directed by Merhige (sp?). This was his work before directing Shadow of the Vampire. Believe me, it's not anything like Shadow...
I would suggest renting it first, but if you're a NetFlix customer, you're out of luck. They don't carry it. I guess it's a bit too weird for them too.
Tony Aguila

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Two more to add: 12 Monkeys and eXistenZ (yes, that's how it's spelled).
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin

Jacques

Grip
There are some excellent recommendations here...
I'll throw out a vote for The Shooting, an existential excursion of a Western, from the early part of Jack Nicholson's career. Essentially, a young woman hires some gunmen to effect some kind of vague revenge; I'd advise strongly against looking for more details on the plot, as you risk entering spoiler territory. Interpretation of the happenings on-screen, I surmise, is the key element which makes the experience of viewing this film unique, to each viewer. One person's perspective might vary greatly from another's, with neither negating the other.
I've seen the film twice now, and I'm still not sure what to make of the ending, or of the film as a whole... but it certainly does engage the synapses. I quite enjoyed it, but I can't elaborate further because I personally believe that it's in the best interest of people who have not seen the film (and might be interested) to reach their own conclusions; and I still need at least one more viewing to form a more solid opinion. :)
I have not yet watched my disc, so I can't offer much input there.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Ditto The Cube. An ultra low budget Canadian film that has generated MUCH discussion, and, wouldn't you know it...CUBE2, for next year. Requiem for a Dream a hard-hitting one as well.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I may be alone on this one... but I was impressed by WAY OF THE GUN. Yes, there's violence, but it isn't an action film by any stretch. What was interesting to me was the motivations of each character, and the way loyalties shift as the story progresses and subplots are revealed. Much like PI, I was left thinking at the end of the movie.
Another lesser known film that blew me away (but that I'm probably alone in praising) was THE MINUS MAN with Owen Wilson and Janeane Garafalo. Wilson plays a serial killer, but the kind of guy you'd like to know. He's quiet, somewhat moral (although in a skewed way), and just a generally nice guy. But inside his head, he's imagining the eventual confrontation with the police as visualized by conversations with two imaginary FBI agents (played with great effect by Dwight Yoakam and Dennis Haysbert). He's not a violent man, but feels the motivation to rid the world of those who could damage others, even in minor ways. Most surprising to me was the very serious turn by Garafalo as Wilson's alcoholic love interest. It's a very subtle and deliberate movie, but I think one of the better portrayals of serial killers on film.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
My vote also goes to Memento, Requiem, 12 Monkeys, Fight Club...and if it was out AI. I know the film is being cast aside by some, but I think it's a thinker that asks some good questions.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
And, naturally, Troma's "Fat Guy Goes Nutzoid"
laugh.gif
Damn, now I gotta go watch the movie again!
------------------

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I'll throw you one:
Lost Highway (directed by David Lynch)
I love the man's work. Lost Highway will have you thinking long after you've watched it. I saw it at the Ritz in Philly ('97), and to this day, I am still trying to work some of it out in my head. But, like most of Lynch's other films, there is surreal and dreamlike atmosphere around them, leaving them open for interpretation. I think there's a region 2 release out there. I myself, eagerly anticipating a region 1 release (along with Eraserhead, Elephant Man, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, and, of course, the Twin Peaks series).
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

Heres a few movies that makes me think about life:
Fight Club
Forrest Gump
Titan AE
Usual Suspects
Sex and The City HBO series(not a movie but still makes me think)
American History X
Amistad
too many others to mention...

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I'll second Cube, Memento, and 12 Monkeys.
I'll also add Blade Runner (director's cut, of course).
-Max

JaleelK

Second Unit
If you're looking for entertaining yet cerebral material, look no further than the sleeper hit of this summer, Memento, recently out on DVD.
There are numerous threads on the film, some with spoilers, so you may want to watch frist before jumping into the discussion.
Plot synopsis can be found on rottentomatoes or IMDB, but in a nutshell, a man has a form of amnesia in which he can't form new short term memories. He can remember what happened years ago, but not 5 minutes ago. The movie flows chronologically out of order as he tries to piece together and find the man that killed his wife.
GREAT film!>>>
To the contrary, I thought Memento was easily the second worst film I've seen all year, second to Moulin Rouge. I think Memento is a movie for anyone having trouble trying to sleep. My advice to anyone who haven't seen this and might be thinking about purchasing it, please rent it first, its horrible and you will want to get your money back if you purchase this film.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Jaleel,
to each his own I suppose
tongue.gif

Yours is the first completely dissenting opinion I've come across, in person and in various movie forums. Those friends and coworkers of mine who didn't completely love it for the most part had to concur that it was well written and edited.
After having read several analyses of the storyline(s), I'm eagerly awaiting getting my copy of it in the mail to run the movie in proper sequence. But I digress and wish not to leave any spoilers on this thread. :)
What, if I may, made this one of the worst movies for you? I'm always curious to hear the opinion from the other side of the fence when it comes to films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks