What's new

The 100 Greatest Action Movies on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I basically feel "action movies" need to be broken down into subgenres because the term is so inclusive of so many different kinds of pictures.

My personal preference is that an action movie not be just wall to wall action. That it is about a variety of ideas that build up to the action sequences, so that they really matter and are not just there as boredom killers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Shouldn't "The Professionals" (1966) starring Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Woody Strode and Jack Palance be on that list? It's surely one of the best written "action" movies.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Shouldn't "The Professionals" (1966) starring Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Woody Strode and Jack Palance be on that list? It's surely one of the best written "action" movies.
I certainly agree, it was one of the first films that came to mind that wasn’t a modern day action picture. Richard Brooks did a fine job with a great cast.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, two more recent pictures I think should be on a greatest action film list (both on Blu) are:

Skyfall (2012)
1917 (2019)

Both pictures directed by Sam Mendes, who I probably would not have thought of as a great action director but both of these films really prove he is. Skyfall being part of the Bond franchise you expect it to have great action sequences. Really, the action in Bond pictures is almost always beautifully staged. So, I could have wrote that off as just as a result of working with the Bond crew that really know how to assemble an action sequence. However, 1917 was Sam's own picture and it is a truly wonderful action film, in my opinion. Plus it meets the standards of modern action pictures in that once the main characters are up and running, the picture is a non-stop thrill ride. Mendes does display his fantastic touch with making these scenes dynamic, filled with tension, and keeps it about the characters at the same time.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

I would have it on the list, yes. Plus the action in that picture is expertly staged and awesome to watch. I guess either the people that compiled it missed it or it was not available on DVD by the end of 2002.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I would also, for ease of classifying, most of the films that starred these actors as action:
1) Schwarzenegger
2) Stallone
3) Chris Pratt
4) Vin Diesel
5) The Rock
6) Bruce Willis
7) Keanu Reeves
8) Liam Neeson

Yes, known as action stars with the exception of Pratt, I think. I've not seen many of Pratt's pictures but what I have seen, I've not really liked. I would probably replace him on that list with Denzel Washington or Tom Cruise or someone along those lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaronss
Recent bookmarks