What's new

Pi: finally a movie to THINK about...What are some others? (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Two movies that I often find myself turning over and analyzing in my mind are "House of Games" amd "Miller's Crossing".
"House of Games" is interesting because unlike the typical "con game" movie like, say, "The Sting", there are levels of meaning apart from the "con game" aspects of it that hold up to analysis even if you have either figured out where the plot is going or seen it before. You then realize that the film is about not just the protaganist's adventure, but her compulsive nature which rivals that of her patients, as demonstrated by her final actions in the film. Also, you have to love those shots of two characters conversing in profile that suggest the classic "faces or vases" optical illusion drawings as a metaphor for the film.
"Miller's Crossing" (Make with the DVD, please, Fox!) also has hidden depths within its complicated & highly stylized plot that make you reconsider it upon repeat viewings. For instance, there are revelations about one supporting character's (Eddie Dane) sexual orientation that upon further analysis of his actions seems to be a result not of an actual sexual preference so much as a pathological hatred for women, which in turn makes him an effective combination of enforcer and sociopath, while still being part of a love triangle that figures prominently into the plot. It adds an extra layer of interest to the familar bag man/gunsel characters. This is not necessarily obvious upon first viewing, and the rest of the film is just as carefully constructed to simultaneously pay homage to, build upon, and subvert its genre conventions.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

JaleelK

Second Unit
What, if I may, made this one of the worst movies for you? I'm always curious to hear the opinion from the other side of the fence when it comes to films.
---------------
I just thought the story was poorly written and contrived,
purposely meant to be complicated. Complication doesn't result in entertainment. Movies, Football , baseball, concerts etc. are about being entertained having fun, this movie was neither fun or entertaining to watch. The movie was just way to convoluted to be entertaining.
I like rollercoaster at amusement parks, but I never have like those cup rides that goes around and around in circles, thats what watching Memento was like.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
I'll agree with you that as shown, the story did *appear* to be quite complicated, but I'd have to disagree that it was poorly written. :)
I know I won't be able to dissuade your opinion, nor would I want to, but I would like to point viewers of the movie to an excellent article over at salon...
http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2001/06/28/memento_analysis/index.html
On a tangent, Esquire just printed the short story that was the inspriation for this movie.
http://www.esquire.com/features/arti...memento_1.html
[Edited last by James Nguyen on September 07, 2001 at 11:36 AM]

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed the movie, even though I found Pi's cabalism a bit trite. Aronofsky's New York is far more accurate -- and palatable -- than Woody Allen's.
------------------
Best, Sam

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Somehow...Gattica, American History X, and House of Games slipped my mind. Those are excellent...

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure if this film falls into the "thinker" category but I thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns in "Frequency"
This is 1 of the few movies I've watched recently that kept my attention throughout, well worth watching, IMO. :)

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
quote: Movies, Football , baseball, concerts etc. are about being entertained having fun, this movie was neither fun or entertaining to watch. The movie was just way to convoluted to be entertaining. [/quote]
Your absolutely entitled to your opinion on MEMENTO, Jaleel. You're not the first person I've heard of who didn't like it (although most people have.)
But as far as movies needing to be "entertaining and fun" to be good... well, to quote the good Pastor William Rennick of Joyful Union Congregation, Bellflower CA: BULLCRAP!
Movies are not just made to entertain. Some are, for sure, but a good percentage of the population is looking for something that will... I dunno, actually make them THINK?!! Perish the thought...
(Then again, with $200 million+ grosses on Mummy Returns, Rush Hour 2, and Shrek -- all entertaining movies, no doubt -- I don't think that thinking walks hand-in-hand in slavish adoration with the zeitgeist...)
------------------
If you have to get your DVDs on the street date, buy them in person at Best Buy or Costco. If you have to get your DVDs at the lowest bargain price available, order them online. Pick one and shut the fuck up.
- DVD Freaks at The Lard Biscuit
[Edited last by Matthew_Millheiser on September 07, 2001 at 03:57 PM]

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much everything David Cronenberg has directed, particularly Crash and the absolutely brilliant Dead Ringers. Don't do what I did, however, and take your mother to see the latter. OOF!

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Mark C -- I enjoyed Naked Lunch very much as well. I know people unfamiliar with Burroughs won't like it, as the references are too specific. I'm sure that the ending puzzled more than a few casual observers not familiar with Burrough's life.
------------------
Best, Sam

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Samuel,
No kidding. Walking out of the theater, my non-Burroughs-aware friend muttered "That wasn't the Naked Gun I was expecting."

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well Pi is a VERY good movie. I was lucky enough to have my brother buy a copy of it along with another great movie that is simlar to it in a LOT of ways. I'm talking about the classic movie Taxi Driver. It very good and also worth watching if your into that type of movies.
------------------
gosalyn.gif

Support the DVD release of the Disney Afternoon for her.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
You know, all this talk about Naked Lunch reminds me of that scene from "The Simpsons" where Bart and his friends use a fake driver's license to get tickets for a showing of NL.
When they exit the theater, one of the friends looks at the marquee and says "There's at least two things wrong with that title."
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Excuse me if I'm out of line, but I think this is one time I can actually say someone's opinion (Jaleel) is WRONG :). Lol, I just am having trouble thinking there might be anyone who didn't like this movie.....Jaleel, you must at least admit that the movie was very well directed, acted and had a good score. With good movies, you can dislike them but still see their merits.
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I will second House of Games...
...and add The Spanish Prisoner and Return to Paradise.
Jon
------------------
"This one goes to eleven." (Nigel Tufnel)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks