What's new

Phillips 16x9 tube set + DVD-R disc (1 Viewer)

Shaughan

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this is the right place to post this :)

Recently, my wife decided that all of her old VHS tapes were taking up too much room and she wanted to burn them all to DVD and get rid of the tapes. So I bought a Sylvania VHS/DVD-R unit so that she could attach them to her 27" TV in the den and copy the tapes to her heart's content.

So she is merrily converting tapes this weekend and I happen to notice that Two mules for Sister Sarah is coming up on TCM so I set the TiVo to record it for me.

Later in the day she notices that this is on and suggests trying to record it to DVD on the burner. So she connects the cable directly to the Sylvania and burns the movie to DVD.

She plays it back in the den on the 27" TV and it looks great :)

So last night I ask her about the DVD and suggest we watch it on the 16x9 TV in the living room. So we load it up and I set the Phillips TV to Widescreen for the letterboxed version of the film and we play the DVD back.

But - no matter what I set the TV to, its still 4:3 letterboxed...So I play back the copy that TiVO recorded and it works fine. A nice letterboxed presentation on the 16:9 set with no vertical lines on the edges with the set set to widescreen mode.

Switch back to the DVD copy and its still 4:3 - and no matter WHAT screen setting I use on the 16:9 set, its always 4:3 off that DVD.

Can anyone tell me why this is?

TIA!

Shaughan

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this is the right place to post this :)

Recently, my wife decided that all of her old VHS tapes were taking up too much room and she wanted to burn them all to DVD and get rid of the tapes. So I bought a Sylvania VHS/DVD-R unit so that she could attach them to her 27" TV in the den and copy the tapes to her heart's content.

So she is merrily converting tapes this weekend and I happen to notice that Two mules for Sister Sarah is coming up on TCM so I set the TiVo to record it for me.

Later in the day she notices that this is on and suggests trying to record it to DVD on the burner. So she connects the cable directly to the Sylvania and burns the movie to DVD.

She plays it back in the den on the 27" TV and it looks great :)

So last night I ask her about the DVD and suggest we watch it on the 16x9 TV in the living room. So we load it up and I set the Phillips TV to Widescreen for the letterboxed version of the film and we play the DVD back.

But - no matter what I set the TV to, its still 4:3 letterboxed...So I play back the copy that TiVO recorded and it works fine. A nice letterboxed presentation on the 16:9 set with no vertical lines on the edges with the set set to widescreen mode.

Switch back to the DVD copy and its still 4:3 - and no matter WHAT screen setting I use on the 16:9 set, its always 4:3 off that DVD.

Can anyone tell me why this is?

TIA!

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
I know with my philips set it locks full screen in HD..my JVC DVD player has the option of using 16:9 auto or normal..with 16:9 normal 4:3 content is pillarboxed and with 16:9 auto the 4:3 content is stretched..maybe this can help you? have you set up the DVD player to do 16:9 auto or stretched? hope this somehow helps you out..

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
I know with my philips set it locks full screen in HD..my JVC DVD player has the option of using 16:9 auto or normal..with 16:9 normal 4:3 content is pillarboxed and with 16:9 auto the 4:3 content is stretched..maybe this can help you? have you set up the DVD player to do 16:9 auto or stretched? hope this somehow helps you out..

Shaughan

Stunt Coordinator

The DVD player is set for 16:9 480p. Has been forever :)

This is why I dont understand this. I dont have any problems with any media save for this DVD-R disc.

Shaughan

Stunt Coordinator

The DVD player is set for 16:9 480p. Has been forever :)

This is why I dont understand this. I dont have any problems with any media save for this DVD-R disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks